Crimson Tide outscores opponents 43-12 in UNI-Dome Classic

The top-ranked Alabama softball team opened the 2013 season in impressive fashion as the Crimson Tide claimed the UNI-Dome Classic in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Alabama outscored its opponents 43-12, scoring eight or more runs in four of the five games. The Tide hit .384, smashed nine home runs and stole 20 bases.

In the circle, Alabama pitched at a 2.12 clip, striking out 38 in 33 innings. Opponents hit .230 against the Tide hurlers. Haylie McCleney led an impressive weekend from the Tide’s rookies.

The Morris, Ala., native hit .722 (13-for-18) with nine runs, two doubles, a triple, two home runs, four RBI and five stolen bases. The four freshmen combined to hit .622 (23-for-37) with 11 stolen bases and 17 runs.

(See also [Photos] “Crimson Tide Softball National Championship Celebration 9/21/12”)

Senior Kayla Braud batted .429 with six stolen bases while senior Keima Davis provided the punch with three home runs, 11 RBI and a .364 batting average. In the circle, junior Jackie Traina went 3-0 on the weekend, sporting a 0.49 ERA while striking out 24 in 14 1/3 innings pitched. Opponents hit .170 against Traina.

McCleney, Traina, Davis, Kaila Hunt and Danae Hays were named to the all-tournament team. Against host Northern Iowa, the two teams played in front of an NCAA regular season single game crowd of 5,084. Alabama will open its home portion of the schedule with a single contest against South Alabama on Tuesday.

The Tide will then head to Fort Myers, Fla., to play five games in the FGCU/LaQuinta Inn and Suites Tournament.

Internet age makes online internships more popular 

Early graduation dates don’t help job search

Extra experience should benefit team