Tide falls to Arkansas 91-80

The University of Alabama women’s basketball team faltered once more to another conference team, this time letting the Arkansas Razorbacks come back and win 91-80 in triple overtime. The Crimson Tide had all the right moves during the first half, only letting Arkansas lead once, yet lost steam during the second half, but ultimately came back to take the teams into overtime.

Alabama struggled to get a foothold against Arkansas during the second half. With less than a minute remaining, the Tide managed to tie up the game 58-58, sending the game into overtime.

“We had it in our hands the whole time,” coach Wendell Hudson said. “The things we had control of could’ve been better if we had played as a team. Both teams played hard. We played hard, worked as hard as we had ever worked and played smartly.”

Alabama, (12-11, 2-9 SEC) challenged Arkansas throughout the entire game. The Tide had a consistent 4 point lead throughout the first half. During the second, Alabama trailed by eight points but came back in the end.

During the three overtimes, the Tide never lost steam. Junior guard Shafontaye Meyers helped secure the team into overtime but said the loss wasn’t easy to swallow.

“We didn’t finish,” Meyers said. “It’s kind of tough. It’s heartbreaking cause we fought and then the last overtime got away from us. It’s a tough loss.”

It was Alabama’s fifth consecutive conference loss. The Tide felt confident going into this game because Arkansas also had previous conference losses. But even so, the team still enjoyed the game due to the competition between the two teams.

“It got fun,” Meyers said. “It was a good game. We fought and it was very interesting.”

Diasha Simmons led Alabama, scoring 21 points.

“Shafontaye Meyers is a big shot taker,” Hudson said. “She might not make them but there’s no question that it’s going to be a good shot. We had really good screens and got her to get that shot off. She stepped up and made that shot. Everybody looks at the final score and what I look at is what got us to that point.”

Nikki Hegstetter started her first game for Alabama, scoring 4 points. Jasmine Robinson scored 14 points and Shafontaye Meyers added 11.

“Everybody looks at the final score and what I look at is what got us to that point,” Hudson said.

The Crimson Tide gets a week off to practice and prepare for its next game against Auburn on Feb. 17 in Auburn. The Tigers are also 2-9 in conference and coming off of an eight-game losing streak. The Tide will tip off at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

Students have pets in dorm rooms despite ban

[Our View] Blaming CW skirts real issue

[Letter to the Editor] University needs to step up its environmental game