Alabama men’s athletics tied for No. 1 overall points in Capital One Cup Men’s Race with 60 points

The University of Alabama athletics program is ranked No. 1 in the men’s side of the Capital One Cup standings after the fall athletics season, the Capital One Financial Corporation announced Wednesday.

“We’re very proud of our football team and the way they played and represented the Crimson Tide this season,” UA Director of Athletics Mal Moore said. “We’re also proud that their accomplishments have translated into Alabama leading the Capital One Cup men’s standings after the fall.”

The Tide is tied with Indiana and North Dakota State in the men’s standings after scoring 60 points by beating Notre Dame in the BCS National Championship Game on Monday, Jan. 7. It marked the third time in four years Alabama has won the national football title.

Alabama finished sixth in the Capital One Cup men’s standings in 2011-12 after earning 72 points, while the Tide women finished third with 100 points after a spring that saw Alabama win three NCAA Championships – softball, golf and gymnastics – in the span of two months.

Since the Tide football team won the 2009 BCS National Championship, Alabama has won seven national titles in all – three in football, two in gymnastics and one each in softball and women’s golf. In addition to those titles, the Alabama men’s golf team finished second in the nation in 2012.

Schools earn points based on their teams’ top 10 finishes in NCAA Division I championships and in final official coaches’ polls across 20 women’s and 19 men’s sports as they compete to win the Capital One Cup trophy and a combined $400,000 in scholarships for student-athletes.

The Capital One Cup winners will be determined at the end of the spring season and honored at the ESPY Awards in July. Last year the University of Florida won on the men’s side, and Stanford University claimed the women’s Cup – each for the second consecutive year. This is the third year of the Capital One Cup.

Capital One Men’s Cup Standings

1. Alabama – 60 points

1. Indiana – 60 points

1. North Dakota State – 60 points

4. Notre Dame – 39 points

5. Georgetown – 36 points

5. Oregon – 36 points

5. Sam Houston State – 36 points

8. Georgia Southern – 30 points

8. Maryland – 30 points

10. Creighton – 24 points

10. Eastern Washington – 24 points

10. Georgia – 24 points