Women’s basketball team seeks SEC win

After falling short against Kentucky last Sunday, Alabama women’s basketball is back at home Thursday against the University of Georgia. The Crimson Tide looks to move past its two conference losses and win a conference game.

The Tide, currently 10-5, has yet to win a conference game. After losses to Texas A&M, 91-52, and Kentucky, 87-70, Alabama needs a win to keep pace in the SEC. After a three-game win streak in Hawaii, the Tide plans on stepping up its game.

“They have done a great job for one thing, but that hasn’t stopped them from being prepared as a team,” head coach Wendell Hudson said. “They have a really tough schedule, and I think highly of them.”

Preparing for this game won’t be easy, though. No. 13 Georgia has won the last 21 games against the Tide. The competition against Georgia weighs heavily on the Tide’s mind, and the team aims to break the streak at home.

Though the Tide is facing one of the top teams in the country, Hudson said the team is prepared for this game. However, he has been looking into other methods in order to get ahead of Georgia.

“I think one of the things we’re looking into is different styles of basketball,” Hudson said. “The way we need to play against Georgia is tempo-style. We need to get quicker shots and get the ball up and down the floor.”

Even though Hudson talks about different styles, he still said Alabama has had one of the toughest schedules in the SEC and notes that it has taken a toll on his team.

“I don’t think anyone has a tougher slate than we do,” Hudson said. “That’s one of the things I’ve talked to the team about. We got to get through these games and keep playing.”

Hudson said he hopes sophomore leader Daisha Simmons will help lead the Tide to a win. Simmons is averaging 11.7 points per game.

“[Simmons] has been a big help this season,” Hudson said. “She’s played awfully well, and she’s been a key to the success we had and has helped this team be a better basketball team.”

The Crimson Tide is looking forward to Georgia and isn’t worrying about what’s ahead of them. Focusing solely on Georgia, the team hopes this will set them apart and get them a win to end the streak Georgia has become accustomed to.

“We’re looking forward to playing Georgia,” Hudson said. “It’s going to be an interesting game but I think we are prepared.”