Tide suffers letdown against South Carolina

Only two days removed from the biggest win in Alabama soccer history, the Crimson Tide fell 1-0 on an own-goal at home against South Carolina.

Entering the game, the Tide had just snapped a four-game losing streak to defeat No. 11 Florida, 1-0, the highest ranked opponent the Tide had ever beaten and the first win over the Gators in school history. What could have been a huge momentum swing for the season turned into a huge letdown for the team, who was in need of conference wins with the SEC and NCAA tournaments closing in.

“It’s frustrating to go down in defeat on an own-goal when it was a close game all the way through,” head coach Todd Bramble said, “especially coming off of a game Friday night where we thought we had turned a corner and got a milestone type of victory for the program, and [to] not to be able to close the regular season at home in front of our fans is disappointing.”

There was a sort of “hangover effect” early on for the Tide coming off the win against Florida, as they came out slow in the first half, only getting three shots off and appearing disorganized in their movement and passing.

“There was a lot of energy and emotion put into Friday night, and we just weren’t able to reciprocate it into Sunday,” junior midfielder Molly Atherton said.

The lone goal of the game happened in the 13th minute, when a Gamecock free kick went off sophomore midfielder Merel Van Dongen’s head for an own-goal. The Tide came out stronger in the second half, but the team wasn’t able to capitalize on a couple late chances, including a free kick and corner kick in the final five minutes to get the equalizer.

“I thought, first half, we weren’t on the same page, not really organized. We regrouped second half and came together, but we just couldn’t finish it,” freshman forward Katie Bourgeois said.

The game was a just continuation of inconsistency on the season for the Tide, who has shown the ability to beat the best, as shown by the win against Florida. The team will need to win at Auburn on Thursday to guarantee a spot in the SEC tournament.

“We are just back in a situation where our backs are against the wall again,” Bramble said. “We have to be resilient again with the short week and quickly put this game behind us.”