Team ready for tough test at southern regionals

As The University of Alabama men’s tennis team embarks on its journey to the indoor national championships, only one test stands between the team and qualification.

The Crimson Tide begins play Thursday in the USTA/ITA Southern Regional Championships at Auburn University. Collegiate athletes from Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana will compete over five days. Winners of the singles and doubles brackets advance to the indoor national championships in Flushing, N.Y., at the site of the U.S. Open.

Eight players from Alabama will compete in the 128-man singles bracket and will later pair up to play in the 64-team doubles draw. After a strong showing at the Tom Fallon Invitational, the Tide is riding a wave of momentum into Auburn.

“Our first day wasn’t great, but we kept getting better as the tournament went along,” said assistant coach Ryler DeHeart. “It’s always two steps forward and one step back, but we’re getting better, and I’ve seen a lot of improvement.”

Of the six wins recorded on the last day of the tournament, freshman Becker O’Shaughnessey and senior Jarryd Botha each chalked up a singles victory against Michigan State. The two players, who also teamed up for a doubles win against Michigan, will join forces this week in Auburn.

“[We] kept improving as the tournament progressed,” O’Shaughnessey said. “We brought a lot of intensity and fight into our game, which helped us win more easily.”

With plenty of time remaining in the season, the team is focused on fitness, strength and endurance. In order to prevail this weekend, the Tide will have to maintain consistency throughout the five-day tournament.

“I need to learn how to handle any situation I’m in,” Botha said. “I just need to stay as solid as I can, no matter what I can and can’t control.”

Since the top teams from three states will compete in the southern regionals, the Tide will get its first taste of what some of the strongest SEC teams have to offer. With everyone contending for a chance to clinch a spot in the national championships, Alabama expects to face the best of every opponent.

“Our guys are hungry and willing to work hard,” DeHeart said. “They’ve always been ready for a challenge, and I hope they’re prepared for an even bigger challenge coming up this weekend.”