Albert Brewer, Del Marsh panelists for Alabama’s 1st ‘Town Hall Experience’

Government officials will help The University of Alabama Honors College launch its new program, Town Hall Experience, on Thursday, Oct. 18, in Farrah Hall.

Former Gov. Albert Brewer and President Pro Tempore of the State Senate Del Marsh are panelists for the first Town Hall Experience.

The program, led by former director of the Alabama Law Institute Bob McCurley and 10 Honors College students, gives participants a platform to discuss issues facing the state and nation.

UA student organizations and faculty members nominated students to participate. After checking each nominee’s resume, the Honors College selected 55 students to be a part of the first forum.

The forum will begin with an open discussion between participants and panelists about constitutional reform in Alabama. Brewer and Marsh will share their thoughts and solutions on the issue.

Participants will then break up into groups, where group leaders will inform the students about the issue, and they will discuss it among themselves.

After discussion, the groups will present their ideas to the audience.

Honors College students Lauren Hardison, Harrison Martin and David Wilson will be coordinating the event. Wilson said the class is excited to have Brewer and Marsh as panelists.

“We are so pleased to have legends at the forum,” Wilson said.

Hardison said she hopes the big names will attract press because she thinks the forum is going to produce some tangible results.

“Its very important for students to be informed about something that is so pertinent to them as they grow into voting age and they are able to vote on things like this,” Hardison said.

The new Honors College program will have forums biweekly.

The first Town Hall Experience will be Thursday, Oct. 18, in the Moot Courtroom in Farrah Hall at 6 p.m.