Fall trends emphasize outerwear

The fast-paced world of fashion can be frustrating for the fashion-conscious woman trying to keep up with current trends and on-the-cusp designers. New York Fashion Week recently came to a close, highlighting short skirts and floral frocks only fitting for Spring/Summer 2013. Despite the increased hype in the fashion-blogosphere focusing on next year’s trends, it is high time to re-recognize the fall fashion shows of this past winter and suit up for the season at large.

Looking back to the fall-focused shows of February, I could not help but notice the increased attention to outerwear. Tailored coats, capes and dinner jackets hung from shoulders at nearly every show, from Yves Saint Laurent to Proenza Schouler to Jason Wu.

Many designers experimented with volume, showcasing oversized coats paired with wide leg trousers. Proenza Schouler articulated the trend best with the exaggerated proportions of their winter white zip-up coat. Although questionably “avant-garde,” this trend can be translated into campus-wear for any fashion forward female. If over-the-top proportions aren’t for you, try a dramatically long overcoat or wide-cut jacket paired with skinny jeans or printed leggings. The play on opposing proportions will create a wearable look, while maintaining the edgy samurai feel displayed on the Proenza Schouler runway.

Tailored blazers were also a highlight of fall 2012 fashion. Emilio Pucci’s tailored dinner jacket was featured in fall/winter 2012 edition of Harper’s Bazaar for his “chic take on black tie.” A short black blazer slims the waistline while adding a touch of drama to a “night out” look. Pair this simple, sophisticated jacket with skinny jeans, pumps and a bold red lip for a classic, sleek look for dinner, or pair with your favorite day-dress to make it fall weather-appropriate.

Texture has also played a major part in fall trends. Leather and fur speckled countless runway shows in February and have influenced nearly every aspect of fall fashion. Leather detailing, leather pants, leather pockets – stores can’t get enough. A classic leather motorcycle jacket is a great way to highlight this trend and add a warm coat to your wardrobe. This timeless piece can be worn with a button-front top and pencil skirt for a more refined look or with ripped jeans and lace-up boots to play up the effortless grunge trend.

Military-inspired sartorial pieces are nothing new, but the fall runway shows gave the trend new light with army green coats, complete with peplum waist and utility zippers. Hunter green is a great fall color and goes well with the abundance of maroon and oxblood pieces found in every designers’ collection. Jason Wu, Tommy Hilfiger and Jen Kau all had their own versions of the classic overcoat featured on the runway in February. The utility jackets can be worn atop a lacy dress and maroon tights to toughen up a feminine ensemble or with jeans, chambray shirt, and scarf for a functional “go to class” outfit.

Fashion is all about timing, and designers are always looking ahead for sartorial inspiration. Coats are one simple way to keep up with trends without having to buy an entire designer wardrobe. Fashion magazines always advise consumers to splurge on outerwear when buying for fall. An edgy overcoat can liven up a sloppy sweater without much effort, and it can be worn throughout the season. Consider a classic military-inspired or leather jacket that can be worn for years to come.