Even matchup gives Tide push it needs to win

After losing two road games against Texas A&M and Arkansas, the Alabama soccer team is ready to bounce back at home against Mississippi State. The Crimson Tide is confident this week’s even matchup will give it the push it needs to win.

Though the two away game losses have affected the Tide, it has not set Alabama back enough to make it doubt itself. Head Coach Todd Bramble isn’t letting the past affect him or his team.

“[This is] the first weekend where we have come away without earning any points in the standings, so that’s difficult to make sure we manage this period of adversity the right way,” Bramble said. “With every season you have, you are going to have to deal with something and you’re going to have to overcome something.”

The Mississippi State game is a surefire way of bouncing back from the losses. With an average shot percentage of 0.108, the Tide is evenly matched against Mississippi State both statistically and competitively.

“From a style stand point, [Mississippi State is] a little bit different from us,” Bramble said. “They are a team that defends and counter-attacks a little bit more. We’re a team that tries to possess the ball a little bit more, so it’s a contrast in styles but from a competitive stand point, it’s going to be a really even game.”

Freshman midfielder Abby Lutzenkirchen believes this home game will be a good turning point in the season for the Tide and its fans.

“It’s going to give us a lot more pride to win on our home field and to give our fans a good game and to support and [make them] want to come out Sunday against Missouri,” Lutzenkirchen said.

Being that this is the first in a series of four home games, the Tide hopes being home will bring it the extra boost it needs to win this game, as well as the rest of the season, in order to place in the SEC tournament.

“There’s still five games left, there’s still plenty of soccer to be played, and there’s still plenty of points to be earned toward a place in the conference tournament at the end of the year,” Bramble said.

Being home has heightened the players’ enthusiasm to play on Thursday. Senior defender Meghan Duffy is excited to play at home and encourage her team to win and play well.

“[I want to] make sure that I really encourage everyone on my team and make sure that we’re all on the same page so then I can help the team and do my part for the whole group,” Duffy said.

With an even matchup at hand, the Tide plans to have a great game against Mississippi State, with hopes of winning the first of its four home game series.