Greeks raise money for Ronald McDonald House at “Wings of Hope”

Over 500 students gathered on Sigma Nu’s front lawn on Sept. 20 to support the Wings of Hope philanthropy event, which hoped to raise at least $10,000 for the Ronald McDonald House, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.

Hosted by Sigma Nu, Delta Delta Delta, Zeta Beta Tau and Alpha Delta Pi, the event included a performance by the band The Doctors and The Lawyers and a wing-eating contest. Sponsors Red Bull, Guy Harvey and American Fishing Tackle Co. donated prizes to the wing-eating contest winners, and Guy Harvey also sold T-shirts. All the proceeds went to the charities.

The four greek organizations created the event with a $10,000 goal in mind. This week, they will find out if they were able to meet that goal.

“We really want to prove to everyone that greek life at UA is really committed to serving others,” said junior Kelly Harris, philanthropy chair for Delta Delta Delta, whose national philanthropy is St. Jude.

The event was particularly close to Delta Delta Delta member and senior Britani McCoy’s heart, who was diagonsed with a rare form of leukemia her senior year of high school. She has been in remission since her first round of chemotherapy in November 2008.

“I know firsthand how important it is to raise money,” McCoy said.

Elle Kaplan, a Zeta Tau Alpha sorority member and history major, volunteered with cancer patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital over the summer and attended the event to extend her contribution to the organization. She mentioned that the nice weather and friends provided a pleasant environment.

“It’s always good to support something close to your heart,” Kaplan said. “It’s a good social environment and attracts a lot of people.”

Accounting major and Sigma Nu fraternity member Travis Gardner said the overall fun atmosphere of the event contributed to its success.

“There’s great food, great music, and it’s for a great cause,” Gardner said.