Bama’s Bourgeois balances soccer and student life

Freshman soccer forward Katie Bourgeois is obsessed with Yogurt Mountain and proud of the fact she can wiggle her ears. Her role model is French soccer player Zinedine Zidane, who is famous for headbutting an Italian player in the 2006 World Cup final.

Bourgeois got into soccer when she was 4 years old because she saw her brother playing and wanted to be just like him. But unlike most soccer players, her love of soccer grew not through the thrill of scoring or the excitement of a close game but from the simple joy of kicking a soccer ball around. Whether doing homework or watching television, she is always playing around with a soccer ball.

Even during our time together, she was playing around with a soccer ball at her feet. The simplicity of her love for the game is what helps her take everything in stride.

“It’s just awesome being a freshman getting to play,” Bourgeois said. “We have had such a good start on the season, 5-0, and don’t plan on quitting anytime soon.”

Four games into her freshman year, Bourgeois accomplished something that few Alabama players have ever done by scoring four goals against South Alabama – the third most goals scored in a single game in Alabama history. But when asked about her historic game Bourgeois remained humble, deflecting all praise to her teammates.

“It feels great, but I mean anyone on our team could have finished those balls,” she said. “The service to and the passes were really what made the plays. The goals were just the final touch.”

On an offense featuring 2011 Southeastern Conference All-Tournament Team midfielder Molly Atherton and 2011 National Soccer Coaches Association of America All-South region forward Pia Rijsdijk, the freshman forward is not only making a name for herself but has managed to become a breakout player, leading the team with six goals through five games. To put that in perspective, only sophomore Theresa Diederich had more than six goals all last season for the Tide, and she had seven.

But it’s not just her scoring ability that is turning heads. She also leads the team in shooting efficiency and accuracy with a 46.2 percent shooting percentage and 61.5 percent shots on goal. Bourgeois’ all-around game has impressed the coaching staff and her teammates.

“She obviously has scored some goals, but we ask her to do a lot of other things for us: to hold the ball for us while we are in possession and to make good runs off the ball,” Bramble said. “Defensively, she has responsibilities to put pressure on the other team’s center backs, and she does it all so well.”

Along with soccer, the Texas native said she wants to get the entire college experience and live as a regular student. Her main focus is trying to figure out what engineering and chemistry clubs to join. Her goal is to get an internship that will one day allow her to get a job in her home state.

“After college, I would love to work for an oil company in the Texas area, whether Houston or Dallas,” she said. “That’s kind of where I’m heading. Texas is awesome.”