Homegrown Alabama hosts songwriting contest

Whether songwriting comes naturally or is unfamiliar territory, Homegrown Alabama farmers’ market is inviting all members of the community to participate in their sing-off competition at Thursday’s market.

Homegrown Alabama is a University of Alabama student-led group educating students on the importance of local produce and farming in Alabama.

The competition will be one of many activities being held at Thursday’s market celebrating Homegrown Alabama’s fifth year in operation.

“We have had the farmer’s market for five years and have established a loyal clientele, including many musicians,” Andrea Mabry, assistant market manager, said. “We always have live music at the market, and the musicians enjoy coming to it. We thought it would be cool to have a theme song that people could hear and recognize us.”

Contestants were asked to write a theme song for the farmer’s market and then participate in a sing-off starting at 3 p.m. Thursday.

Songs were asked to be less than three minutes long, include the line “I’m Homegrown” and feature Homegrown Alabama information, including time, date, location, facts about vendors and why they love Homegrown. Songwriters may also submit videos of their songs for a chance to win the “Favorite YouTube” category.

The songs are meant to be family-friendly and will be judged on creativity, best descriptions, best YouTube submission and the market’s favorite.

“We have been working on promotional material for the market and hope to have five to ten competitors,” Mo Fiorella, upcoming market manager, said. “Ham Bagby will be the MC in the contest and also talk about Homegrown. We will also have three judges: A person from Homegrown, a staff member or professor and Ham.”

Fiorella said they want the show to be entertaining for others and representative of the market. She said their most successful markets have always included a contest- or voting-type event, such as a salsa competition or chili cook off, both of which they plan to have later in the summer.

After the sing-off, customers at the market will be allowed to cast their votes for their favorite performance and select the crowd favorite. Winners will receive a selection of prizes ranging from Homegrown T-shirts and bags to posters made by local artists.

The songwriting contest will be the main interactive event during Thursday’s birthday-themed market, but other activities will include a large birthday cake made with local fruits by Snap Decisions and a craft table to make birthday hats and streamers.

Lindsay Turner, market manager for Homegrown Alabama, said two new improvements to the market will be available on Thursday, as well. Homegrown Alabama will now provide information about the vendors next to each booth so that shoppers can learn more about their produce. Additionally, the market will start accepting debit cards, credit cards, and SNAP/EBT cards (formerly food stamps).

Customers wishing to use these forms of payment must visit the information table to swipe their cards and collect market bucks – wooden tokens – used for shopping. Turner said they are the first farmer’s market in Alabama to accept EBT cards.

“We try to cultivate a space for the community that has a fun and laid-back atmosphere,” Turner said. “We have live music every week and work hard to make it an event people want to come to.”

The summer markets are held weekly on Thursdays from 3-6 p.m. at Canterbury Chapel lawn on Hackberry Lane. For more information about Homegrown Alabama or the songwriting contest, visit homegrownalabama.org.