UA student featured at Wellness Walls for Art exhibit

CW / Ava Morthland
Picture of Ainsley Greer artwork at the University Medical Center.

The Wellness Walls for Art program, started in 2013, is sharing a new exhibition titled “Five Seasoned Artists at University Medical Center. The exhibition is a collection of work from Ann Betak, Sue Blackshear, Janet Mego, Chis Metzger, Deborah Hughes and UA student Ainsley Greer. Hughes has been the curator for the program since 2014 and is an alumna of the University.  

Greer is earning her Bachelor of Fine Arts in graphic design and is currently working as an artist’s assistant to Hughes, according to the Department of Art and Art History’s news page 

“By immersing themselves in the diverse works showcased at the Wellness Walls, students can explore different techniques, perspectives and themes to enrich their understanding of art,” Greer wrote. “It also fosters a sense of community as students, alumni, and local artists come together to present this gallery.”  

Greer said that her work, “Salvaging,” is a collection of recycled materials used to contrast waste and valuables. Through the usage of cardboard, acrylic paint and hot glue, her paintings explore a new style of art. 

“Things that were once valuable such as fresh paint and cardboard boxes are forgotten when they are no longer useful,” Greer wrote. “I wanted to bring their value back by using them in a new way.” 

According to Art for Hospitals, “Research shows art is far more than aesthetic beauty made for entertainment. It supports health by its ability to reduce stress, decrease the duration of treatment, lowers blood pressure, accelerates healing, heightens mood, and initiates the joy response.” 

Art for Hospitals’ goal is to have artwork in every hospital to improve the health of patients and help sooth visitors and staff.  

On her website, Hughes said that her experience working on the Wellness Walls for Art program has inspired her to look at the unifying themes in her own work and that working with the University has been rich and diverse. 

The collection of artworks is hung around the medical center, and visitors can view the work Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:45 p.m. until March 29.