Spring practice preview: Which early enrollees stand out?

With only 11 days separating the Crimson Tide from the A-Day scrimmage, there are still a good bit of questions surrounding the 2012 season.

Will any freshmen step up and contribute like Cyrus Kouandjio and Vinnie Sunseri did last season? Who will start where in the season-opener against Michigan? Is this team going to have a shot at a national championship or will it be a disappointment, a la 2010?

In this first installment of a three-part series, I’m going to go around the program and try to fill in these question marks. This week, I’m going to start off the series by heaping praise on the most impressive early enrollee freshmen that could be on the field for game one like Sunseri was.

After watching practices all spring long, I don’t know that I could start this topic with anyone other than wide receiver Chris Black. He has been running practice reps alongside bigger names like Kenny Bell and Kevin Norwood and has not missed a beat, looking nearly as good as they do.

Black has clearly separated himself from the rest of the pack in the minds of the coaching staff.  When DeAndrew White’s hamstring problems came back and pushed him out of practice, it was none other than Black that made a move up in the rotation and got himself closer to the guys that seem to be locks for starting spots in September. In doing so, it looks as if he’s left fellow early enrollee wide out Amari Cooper in the dust, for now.

Seeing Black do as well as he has is all fine and good from the fan perspective; however, just like the 2010 season, all emphasis needs to be placed on the cornerback position. Just like the last time Alabama was defending a national championship, the team has to replace a good deal of talent at that position.

The 2010 attempt was clearly unsuccessful. Let’s be honest, the wide outs were so open even Stephen Garcia (South Carolina) threw for touchdowns. But this year, it looks like Alabama is more prepared for that thanks to the solid performance of two early enrollee junior college transfers, Deion Belue and Travell Dixon.

Dixon was a dominant force at Eastern Arizona Junior College and was ranked the No. 1 junior college cornerback in his class by numerous recruiting services. Belue showed prowess as a cover cornerback at Northeast Mississippi Community College and has been able to transfer that ability to the Alabama secondary. Not only has Belue shown great skill in practice, but he returned an interception for a touchdown in the lone spring scrimmage up to this point.

Another early enrollee freshman that seems to be sneaking up on everyone is Alphonse Taylor. Sneaking up may be the wrong phrase, since Taylor’s 6-foot-5, 334 pound body does anything but sneak up on people. But, he has been asserting himself as a real threat to see playing time in 2012 at the nose guard spot, where he would have Josh Chapman’s big shoes to fill.

The way things are shaking out in spring practice; Alabama could field young players in important spots in the lineup early and often. And, if the fall looks anything like the spring, it probably won’t make for three losses.