Freshmen make a splash as swimming and diving sweep Delta State to begin season

CW/ Hannah Grace Mayfield
Alabama swimmer Laci Black in action against Delta State on Sept. 29 at Alabama Aquatic Center and Don Gambril Olympic Pool in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

The newcomers on the Alabama swimming and diving team made their presence known Friday, as the Crimson Tide started their season off strong at home, winning 35 of 36 events against the Delta State Statesmen.   

Eight freshmen contributed to the 35 total victories Alabama earned on Friday.  

“The newcomers were also huge for us today,” head coach Margo Geer said. “They made an immediate impact and competed really well in their first collegiate meet.” 

Freshman Tommy Hagar opened his collegiate career with a bang, winning the 200-yard backstroke (1:45.93), 200 butterfly (1:48.61) and 200 individual medley (1:51.75). Hagar also contributed to the men’s victory in the 200 medley relay (1:28.02), alongside juniors Kaique Alves and Bernardo Bondra de Almeida and sophomore Tim Korstanje.  

Five freshmen earned victories in the women’s meet. Laurel Blase won the 1000 freestyle (10:21.61), Gaby Van Brunt took the 100 backstroke (54.57), Kate Christian won the 200 backstroke (2:00.52), and Jada Scott was able to take the 200 individual medley (2:02.04). Cadence Vincent took the 50 freestyle in a very close finish, winning by a hundredth of a second (22.85). 

Overall, the men’s team won 15 races, defeating the Statesmen with a score of 237-59. Senior Michael Deans recorded an impressive win in the 200 breaststroke (2:02.43), taking the race by almost six seconds. Juniors Alves, Charlie Hawke and Peter Edin were able to take two individual races apiece. Korstanje also picked up a pair of victories, taking the 50 freestyle (20.36) and the 100 butterfly (48.80).  

The women’s team went undefeated in its meet, winning all 16 events with a final of 249-50. Sophomore Mackenzie Brandt took multiple races, winning the 200 butterfly (2:01.19) and the 500 freestyle (4:51.15). 

“The team did a great job bringing energy and excitement to the pool deck, making it a great environment for us to compete in,” Geer said. “It was a great start to the season and gives us a lot to build on throughout the year.” 

Diving also put on a dominant performance, sweeping all events. In the women’s meet, senior Courtney Russo recorded a 283.95 on the 1-meter board, and sophomore Ryleigh Rodgers put up a score of 348.75 on the 3-meter board. For the men, Edin took both the 1-meter and 3-meter boards, with scores of 294.75 and 338.03, respectively.  

“The divers were super impactful for us today as they already picked up six NCAA zone cuts and got a great start to their season,” Geer said. 

Next, the Crimson Tide will host the Missouri Tigers on Oct. 20 at the Alabama Aquatic Center.