First half of spring semester filled with sports highlights

As the spring semester is at its halfway point, I think now is a good time to take a look back and enjoy the highlights of the sports season thus far. If you think I missed something, contact me at [email protected] or follow me at @ZacAlKhateeb and let me know what you think. So, with that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the more memorable highlights of the semester so far: the good, the bad and the unforgettable.

Bama basketball marked by inconsistency

I know this is more of a months-long process, but Alabama’s rollercoaster of a season has had fans wondering whether they should cheer for joy or give up in exasperation. Coming out of the break with just under half its schedule completed, the Alabama Crimson Tide opened up the new year with a string of impressive wins over Georgia Tech and conference foes Georgia and LSU, quickly followed by a four-game skid that had many wondering if the Tide was truly a contender for the NCAA Tournament. The Tide picked its game up yet again, but suspensions to JaMychal Green, Trevor Releford, Tony Mitchell and Andrew Steele sent the Tide reeling into the rest of its schedule, uncertain of its future. With only five games remaining in its schedule, Alabama’s NCAA hopes seemed bleak. Then, all Alabama did was pull off a four-game win streak to put it right back into contention for March Madness. I just wish they’d make up their mind on how they want to play.

Jack Blankenship steals the show

Jack Blankenship, or as he’s more affectionately known, “the Alabama face guy,” has become somewhat of a mini-celebrity on campus. I’m sure by now, everyone has seen Blankenship’s mug somewhere on campus, whether in person, as a huge cardboard cutout or maybe even on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.” Blankenship took the nation by storm with his method of distracting opponents by holding up a huge cutout of himself making a goofy face. Blankenship made headlines with the face against Florida, and soon, the rest of the nation was caught up in a firestorm of coverage. Wow.

Power of Pink Meet inspires, enthralls fans

One of the more memorable highlights of the season came in mid-February when the Alabama gymnastics team hosted its annual Power of Pink meet against Arkansas. The meet transcended another typical gymnastics meet (if you can call them typical) and helped raise awareness for the fight against breast cancer. The Tide dominated, posting its second-highest score of the season to that point. But the most inspiring moment happened before the meet began, when each of the 18 Alabama gymnasts was introduced with a breast cancer survivor.

Football wins another national championship, of sorts

Who didn’t get caught up in the National Signing Day hoopla? I’m not ashamed to say that I was right in the middle of it. And why wouldn’t I be? Head coach Nick Saban brought in another stellar recruiting class, the potential cornerstone of what may be Alabama’s next championship team. Tons of stories surrounded NSD, as fans wondered whether safety Landon Collins would honor his commitment to Alabama or go with his mother’s wishes and attend LSU. People were even excited over Adam Griffith, the No. 2 kicker in the nation, according to Rivals. Still, it’s always a big deal with Saban on the recruiting trail, and he didn’t disappoint. He brought in all the positions Alabama needed to fill en route to winning yet another No. 1 recruiting class. With the class, Alabama football won its second national championship of the year.