Murphy gets 700th win, Tide defeat Maryland

The man responsible for almost all of Alabama’s softball success, head coach Patrick Murphy, saw a small reward for his dedication.

Saturday’s 9-1 victory of Maryland in the Easton Alabama Invite was his 700th as the head coach at Alabama, an occasion that saw banners being held on top of the first and third base dugouts and players ambushing him with congratulations and a picture of an elephant and a softball with the number 700 in it.

“It was awesome,” Murphy said. “It’s a credit to the players and definitely to [assistant coach] Alyson Habetz, who has been with me for all 700 of them.”

Murphy’s 700 the win came in a much more competitive contest than the last one against the Terrapins on Friday, which Alabama won 19-1.

“They played a lot better [Saturday morning against UAB, a 4-2 Terrapin win],” Murphy said. “I thought they would come out and give us a really good game.”

The Terrapins knocked Alabama back at the start of the game, keeping the Tide from scoring in the first inning when Alabama scored 12 runs in the first inning of Friday’s game.

“They were mixing it up, trying to keep us guessing,” senior centerfielder Jazlyn Lunceford said. “I think we just settled down and tried to figure out their rhythm and tendencies and we got going after that.”

Alabama showed the offensive momentum soon, scoring four runs in the top of the second inning, centered around a triple by catcher Kendall Dawson that was turned into an inside-the-park homerun by a throwing error.

Alabama had another offensive outburst in the top of the fifth inning, this time turning to Lunceford for a two-RBI double to left-centerfield.

Alabama also got a good performance from starting pitcher Leslie Jury, who had a seven-inning complete game against the Terrapins. Jury gave up six hits and one earned run while walking four batters and striking out 11.

“Jury did a great job,” Murphy said. “If she eliminates a few of those walks she probably has shutout. But, for a freshman to only give up one run to a probably NCAA tournament team is terrific.”

Murphy continued, “She did a great job in the sixth inning, struck out the side. That shows us a lit. She’s in shape.”