Tyler Steen: The Journey from Vanderbilt to Alabama

Michael DeVito, Contributing Writer

With the visiting Vanderbilt Commodores coming to Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday, Alabama offensive lineman Tyler Steen will be going up against his former team for the first time. 

Steen spent the last four years at Vanderbilt, starting 33 out of 38 total games played while in Nashville. Steen was one of 12 true freshmen to see the field in 2018, splitting his time between offensive tackle and defensive tackle. 

Over the summer, Steen transferred to The University of Alabama and won the starting job at left tackle. He has grown to be a key piece of the Crimson Tide’s offensive line with outstanding performances. Steen didn’t allow a single pressure or sack while also racking up two knockdown blocks against the Texas Longhorns in Alabama’s thrilling come-from-behind victory.  

Head coach Nick Saban made it known what he likes about his left tackle.  

“He [Steen] is a very athletic guy — he has good power for his size,” Saban said. “He is a good pass blocker and a very smart guy — he understands how to play fundamentally.”  

Steen remembers his past teammates but is focused on the game. 

“It’s going to be fun but at the end of the day, it is another game,” Steen said.  

As an offensive line unit thus far, the Crimson Tide has not been as dominant as it was in past years. 

“I think the offensive line as a whole has to play a little more physical, we got to get better movement, have better diversity in the running game and be able to execute more consistently,” Saban said. 

Even though the team is just three games into the season, the question marks surrounding this Alabama offensive line are in the back of every Alabama fan’s mind. The Crimson Tide offense currently has a total of 1,442 yards on 194 plays and 18 touchdowns. 

However, Vanderbilt comes into Tuscaloosa with one of its best starts in years, as they are 3-1 and led by junior quarterback Mike Wright.  

Steen, a former teammate of Wright, had much to say about him as a player. 

“Mike Wright is a great player, I have a lot of respect for him, and he’s done a lot of great things for Vandy,” Steen said. “Mike is a great player and he’s going to be a challenge for our defense.” 

Unlike previous years, this year’s matchup between the Commodores and the Crimson Tide has the making to potentially be an interesting game. This is not the same Vanderbilt team that we have seen Alabama roll over in years past. 

The most important thing is that SEC football is back in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Kickoff is Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on the SEC Network.

Questions or comments? Email Austin Hannon (Sports Editor) at [email protected]