Dean creates environment of innovation, collaboration

Before Disney World opened in 1971, Orlando, Fla. was a city smaller than Tuscaloosa is today. To the dean of the College of Education at the University of Alabama, it was home.

Born in Greensboro, N.C. but raised in Orlando, Jim McLean came to the Capstone in 1974 to teach and work with a faculty member on research and evaluation. In the summer of 2004, he was appointed dean of the College of Education.

Over the last eight years, the College of Education has more than doubled its enrollment, moved up considerably in the national rankings, increased its external funding more than ten-fold and increased its endowments, particularly for scholarships, McLean said.

“The position is challenging, time-consuming and sometimes stressful; however, the rewards far exceed the negatives,” McLean said. “The biggest challenges have been maintaining quality programs while growing rapidly.”

McLean said the vision and enthusiasm of UA president Robert Witt, as well as support from Provost Judy Bonner, is one reason why he chose to accept the dean position.

As dean of the College of Education, McLean serves as the chief academic officer.

“I am responsible for the college’s curriculum, maintaining appropriate accreditations, encouraging and fostering research, maintaining quality, financial management of the College, fundraising for scholarships and other things, personnel administration and external relations,” McLean said.

Joyce Stallworth, professor of education and senior associate dean of the college of education, said Dean McLean is a tremendous leader and visionary as well as innovative and collaborative.

“[McLean] implemented a strategy to increase external funding that has increased our levels of funding for scholarships and support for faculty members’ professional development,” Stallworth said. “He works well with Dr. Witt and Provost Bonner and has increased the number of alumni who actively support the College of Education.”

The College of Education’s current goals are to continue to improve their national image and to document the impact their graduates are having once they graduate, McLean said.

Stallworth said McLean’s contributions to the College of Education, the University and the education profession are numerous and he will leave a legacy of excellence.

“He will continue to be a thoughtful and effective leader who impacts generations to come in whatever roles he assumes in retirement as the consummate professional educator,” Stallworth said.

McLean has degrees in secondary mathematics education, statistics and received his Ph.D. in research foundations of education from the University of Florida in 1974.

Rebecca M. Ballard, director of college relations and Capstone Society coordinator, said McLean has been a great mentor and provider for faculty, staff and students since his arrival at the College of Education.

“His number one priority has been the growth of the College in terms of students, excellence, faculty achievement and recognition for the work that both faculty and students do,” Ballard said.

“What has been tremendous and appreciated about the dean’s leadership is his ability to listen and to provide the tools that the college needs to grow and excel.”