Fans, team to commemorate national title in Bryant-Denny

The University of Alabama, fresh off its football team’s historic shutout against LSU last week, will celebrate its fourteenth national championship on Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The event, which is free to the public, is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. and will last about an hour, according to a press release from UA. Head coach Nick Saban and the 2011 team will be in attendance.

“I’m excited to celebrate our latest title because I didn’t go to New Orleans,” said Koury Young, a sophomore majoring in nursing.

Fans attending the celebration can access the stadium via the lower bowl entrances by entering through gates 10 through 13 and 16 through 19. They also can access gates 5 and 21 for the upper levels and on the west side of the stadium.

UA students with a valid UA Action Card can access the field for the event through gate 31, located at the southeast side of the stadium. The first 1,000 general public fans that wish to watch the event from the field will be allowed to enter via gate 30. All gates will open at 12 p.m., according to a UA press release.

Following the Tide’s last national championship, Saban directly addressed the thousands of fans who braved cool temperatures to celebrate the team’s victory.

“I want everybody here to know, this is not the end. This is the beginning,” Saban told fans in 2010. “This team, our fans, our athletics administration has proven that we know what it takes, and we’re going to build on that in the future with the players that we have coming back next year and the future players that are building our program into the greatest and the most consistent winning program in the country.”

Josh McWhorter, a junior majoring in accounting, said he was excited to attend another championship celebration.

“I definitely plan on being there on Saturday,” McWhorter said. “I’m hoping to be on the field for the celebration, so I’ll be in line bright and early.”

Kaehler Roth, a freshman majoring in chemistry, said he was excited UA had planned a celebration and that he hoped there would be a parade in future years.

“A parade would be nice because pro teams do it,” Roth said. “It would be neat to see a college team do the same. Regardless, I know that just about all of Tuscaloosa is excited for Saturday. It should be a great time.”

The first 30,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a poster of the championship team. Fans will also be allowed an opportunity to have a photo taken with the BCS Coaches’ Trophy in the south end zone plaza starting at noon.

Stadium concessions will be available in multiple locations in the lower level of the stadium, but food vendors will not be located on the Quad. Officially licensed national championship products, apparel and more will be available for purchase outside the stadium and in the SUPe Store.

The event will be held regardless of weather conditions, the press release stated.