Delta Gamma, TOMS to fight blindness

Delta Gamma, whose philanthropic focus is sight, has partnered with TOMS in The Great Fight for Sight, a competition between DG chapters to sell eyewear to benefit visually impaired children across the globe.

The TOMS Eyewear line, launched this year, offers the same one-for-one donation as its footwear. For every pair of glasses sold, a child in need will receive prescription eyeglasses, medical treatment, or sight-saving surgery.

TOMS mission fits hand in hand with DG, which established its own foundation, Service for Sight, to work to both raise awareness and assist the visually impaired.

“Raising awareness about blindness and prevention is so important because so many lives can be improved in a dramatic way with the right tools,” DG president Kayla Fields said.

In the competition, which began Nov. 30 and will end June 22, each DG chapter is given a specific code to give to family and friends. When buying a pair of sunglasses from TOMS, using the promo code at checkout will credit the chapter.

The two chapters that promote the most sales win $1000 to go toward a Service for Sight fundraising event, among other prizes.

Fields said The Great Fight for Sight is an innovative way to experience TOMS.

“TOMS eyewear is a new way that people can participate in their one-to-one opportunity to give sight to a person in need,” Fields said. “We are so excited to participate in this program and hope to do our best to make an impact in any way we can.”

Vannessa Stuckey, vice-president for DG Foundations, said UA’s chapter is actively involved with Service for Sight philanthropy. The chapter is planning a golf tournament for the spring to raise proceeds for the foundation.

“We also will make touch-and-feel books to give to schools with visually impaired children,” Stuckey said. “We collect Campbell’s soup labels and box tops, and through that we give money to schools with visually impaired children.”

In addition to raising funds for their foundation, UA DGs assisted the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind this fall in winning $10,000.

The sorority also runs Golden Anchors, a senior-oriented program that sends DGs into nursing homes to assist the elderly who are visually impaired.

For the Alabama DGs, their service for sight is an important cause, and they encourage University students to join them in the Great Fight for Sight.

“We have an amazing opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others and we take that responsibility very seriously,” Fields said.

Use the code DGUniversityofAlabama at your TOMS checkout to give credit to UA’s chapter.