20 things to do under $20

20 things to do under $20

1) Athletic Events – We all love football, but what about the other sports? Try men’s basketball at home on 11/23 and 12/01 or women’s volleyball on 11/25.

2) The Bama Theatre – Every week The Bama Theatre hosts a variety of different entertainment including concerts, movies and theatre shows. Each event ranges in price, but there is almost always something to do. Some events this week include:

-Tornado Benefit Show, Nov. 17, 8 p.m.

-WVUA Tornado Documentary, Nov. 21, 7 p.m.

-International Documenting Justice, Nov. 29, 7:30 p.m.

3) Cobb Theatre movies – Student tickets are $8.50, adult tickets $9.50 and matinee tickets (before 6 p.m.) are $7.50. This week’s shows include:

-Paranormal Activity 3

-Footloose

-Rum Diary

-Puss In Boots

4) Bama Belle – The Bama Belle is Tuscaloosa’s famous riverboat often seen traveling the Black Warrior River. Bama Belle offers public and private charters. Public charters run from April to October in addition to a special Christmas and Valentine’s Day charter. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased by calling 205-339-1108.

5) Trivia Night – Trivia night is hosted around town at different locations during the week: Mellow Mushroom hosts trivia night on Tuesday, Innisfree and Buffalo Wild Wings on Wednesday and Wilhagan’s on Thursday. Participants answer questions about everything under the sun and various prizes are awarded each night. And it’s completely free to participate!

6) Bowling – Check out either Bama Bowl or Leland Lanes for specials on bowling different nights of the week. At Leland Lanes, it’s never more than $5 per game, but you can pay a flat $16.50 for an hour of bowling before 5 p.m.

7) Art Night – Tuscaloosa’s monthly Art Night from 5 to 9 p.m. is held the first Thursday of every month in downtown Northport and Tuscaloosa. Art Night features local galleries and venues for artists to display their pieces to the public. Admission is free and also includes music and refreshments for attendees. Locations include Gallery on the Boulevard, Duet Art and Jewelry, Harrison Galleries, Bama Theatre galleries, Alabama Art Kitchen and Kentuck Art Center.

8) Lake Lurleen State Park – If you’re looking for some outdoor fun, take a drive to Lake Lurleen State Park. Here, you’ll find several hiking trails and areas for biking, swimming, boating and fishing. The cost is $3 to enter the park.

9) Thrift store shopping – For those looking to save some money while looking stylish, Tuscaloosa provides a variety of options for thrifty shopping. A little patience is all that’s needed to find good deals for clothing and accessories. Déjà vu Consignment Boutique sells designer women’s clothes such as dresses, jeans, jackets and skirts. Twice As Nice Consignment Shop buys and consigns original artwork, home accessories, furniture and antiques in addition to clothing. Plato’s Closet and America’s Thrift Store also provide cheaper alternatives for shopping.

• Déjà Vu Consignment Boutique: 1110 15th Street Suite F, 205-752-3901
  • Twice as Nice Consignment Shop: 2319 University Blvd, 205-758-6343
  • Plato’s Closet: 1875 McFarland Blvd. North, Suite 200, 205-342-0799
  • America’s Thrift Store: 1735 Skyland Blvd. East, 205-507-4700

10) Bower’s Park Disc Golf – Bring your own disc and create your own fun by spending a day at Bower’s Park playing disc golf. The course, constructed in 2003, features three open holes and 15 nestled in the woods. Although the course is challenging, all holes have three carpeted tee pads to accommodate all skill levels. 2101 Bowers Park Dr., 205-562-3220

11) Surin Midnight Sushi – Got late night cravings for cheap sushi? Try Surin of Thailand’s midnight sushi special located on The Strip. Midnight Sushi runs every Thursday through Saturday starting at 11 p.m., featuring $1 sushi and appetizers.

12) Xpress Night – Hosted by the Honors College Assembly, Xpress Night allows students to share their artistic talents with other students. Students can share music, art, poetry and more. The next event will be held Nov. 17 from 6-9 p.m. in the Ferguson Center.

13) UA Arboretum – The University of Alabama Arboretum provides a place for study and enjoyment. Operated by the Department of Biological Studies, the arboretum offers greenhouses, two miles of walking trails, wildflower gardens, a community organic garden and children’s garden. Admission is free and the Arboretum is open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset. Tours are available upon request. 48000 Arboretum Way, 205-533-3278.

14) All Fired Up – This contemporary ceramic studio opened 5 years ago and allows customers to become artists for the day. No appointment is necessary – customers simply arrive at the studio, select an item to paint, choose paint colors and be creative. The piece is then fired at the studio and is ready for pick up a week later. Customers can choose from a variety of mugs, bowls, trays, tiles, goblets and ornaments to paint. Weekday hours are Tuesday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Sunday 1 – 5 p.m. Prices for objects to paint range from  $3 to $30.

15) Concerts at Moody – Moody Concert Hall comes to life at least one night a week during the semester to feature student recitals, guest recitals and groups such as the Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra and various University ensembles. All events are free, except Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra, which costs $5 for students.

16) Paul W. Bryant Museum – The Paul W. Bryant Museum preserves a collection of historical sports memorabilia from the University of Alabama. The museum features six main exhibits: The Hall of Honor, Tide Through Time, Coach Bryant’s Office, Crimson Tide Moments from the Broadcast Booth, The Crystal Hat and The Sack. The museum also provides a vast library collection of archived and published material about University of Alabama sports. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. daily and admission is $2 for adults. 300 Paul W. Bryant Drive, 205-348-4668.

17) Bama Mini Golf – A fun and easy way to spend a weekday afternoon or an away-game weekend, Bama Mini Golf offers 18 holes for $5. Located on Highway 69 South, Bama Mini Golf is open Monday-Friday 4-10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday 2-10 p.m. 7825 Highway 69 South, 205-391-6912

18) International Coffee Hour – Enjoy lively conversation with international students at UA every Friday in B.B. Comer Hall. Coffee Hour is held from 11 a.m. -1 p.m. and is free to all students.

19) Lake Nicol – Spend a pleasant fall day with friends at Lake Nicol with hiking trails and picnic areas to enjoy the lakeside scenery. 3650 Lake Nicol Road.

20) Game Night – Wanting a night in? Try a game night with friends. Test your fun with games such as Apples to Apples, Catch Phrase, The Game of Things, Pictionary, Jenga or a good old game of cards. Texas Hold ‘em anyone?