Autumn-inspired ideas for your breakfast

Nutrition students and professors at UA are taking part in a national movement to decrease childhood obesity and assure the healthy development of our nation’s children.          The American Dietetic Association recently developed the KidsEatRight Program to provide families with scientifically based nutrition information regarding the healthy development of children. Shopping, cooking and eating tips, along with featured articles, recipes and videos are offered for toddlers to teens.

One of the most important healthy habits to encourage in children, and people of all ages, is eating breakfast. In light of this fact, Lori Greene, nutrition professor here at UA, has established a local “KidsEatRight Breakfast Initiative” in the hopes of impacting Tuscaloosa’s preschoolers and adolescents.

Senior level nutrition students have developed lesson plans illustrating what a healthy breakfast looks like, offering tips on implementing this habit in their daily lives. Nutritional games are played to engage the children’s imagination and broaden their perspective of healthy breakfast choices and combinations.

Why, then, is breakfast so important? Breakfast literally means to “break the fast” that your body has been enduring for the six to eight hours that you have been asleep. Breaking this fast is important to jumpstart your metabolism so your body can utilize the food you eat for energy.

Although this is a well-known fact, it is easy to fall into a breakfast rut, becoming bored with the monotony of cereal and breakfast bars. We could all use a little help coming up with new and exciting healthy breakfast choices.

Autumn is the perfect time to rev up your breakfast routine as fall flavors come into play. Pumpkin, cinnamon, and apples can add flavor, warmth and, most importantly, health benefits to this important morning meal. Here are a few ideas for autumn inspired alternatives to your usual breakfast routine:

PUMPKIN: Instead of the usual blueberry muffin, try a pumpkin muffin. Pumpkin is high in Vitamin A, fiber and low in fat. Canned pumpkin can also be used to make pancakes or waffles. These fluffy concoctions will warm your insides and boost your nutrient intake.

CINNAMON: Instead of the usual plain oatmeal, try topping it with fresh cinnamon. Cinnamon helps to lower cholesterol and plays a role in fighting Type 2 diabetes. This spice can also be added to whole-wheat toast with butter.

APPLE: Instead of the usual cup of coffee, try a warm cup of apple cider. Apples have cancer fighting properties, and help in managing weight. You can even add a cinnamon stick! Used in combination, cinnamon apple bread is a fresh alternative to the usual bagel or granola bar. Try any or all of these ideas as the autumn and winter seasons move forward.

Information regarding the KidsEatRight Program and specific recipes containing these ingredients can be found at ADA’s website, eatright.org.