Monster makeover good for children, artists, relief

Tuscaloosa News

With Halloween just around the corner, a spooky costume is a must. For those seeking inspiration for creative costumes, Monster Makeover II art exhibit could offer some ideas.

The event, sponsored by the Tuscaloosa News, features drawings of monsters by first grade students and local artists’ interpretations of the children’s creations. The artwork will be auctioned off at an opening night reception to raise money for the Tuscaloosa Forward fund.

“It started off as just a story for the paper and bloomed into a charity event,” said Shweta Gamble, design editor of the Tuscaloosa News. “It was a great way to get local artists involved.”

This year, 44 first grade students from Holy Spirit Catholic Elementary School submitted their spooky monster illustrations for the 42 artists to recreate.

“This year, we have branched out,” Gamble said. “It used to only be 2D pieces; now we have a variety of mediums, such as stained glass, sculptures and paintings.”

In addition to the paintings, the artists will have quotes from the children describing their monsters to use for inspiration for their artwork. The child’s monster and artist’s monster will be displayed side-by-side in the exhibit.

“Monster Makeover breaks artists out of their normal routine,” Gamble said. “They get so excited and refreshed about it. It’s so amazing to take a kid’s free creativity and the professional skills of an artist to bring the art to life.”

Anthony Bratina, graphics editor for the Tuscaloosa News and participating artist, said there is a five-person committee that advertises and selects the artists to participate in the exhibit.

Bratina said it wasn’t hard to find artists to participate in the event because they enjoy seeing the different mediums and designs of other artists in the community.

“Most art shows have a similar theme or style, but this one is different,” Bratina said. “There are so many different pieces and styles because of the kids and their ideas.”

Bratina will be contributing two art pieces, a mixed media and acrylic canvas, to the show this year.

“I enjoy watching kids draw and not be fearless about what they put on paper,” Bratina said. “As an artist, you’re worried about all aspects of your work. The kids have no limit and just go to town; their imaginations go crazy.”

Monster Makeover II will be on exhibit from Oct. 6-31 in the Greensboro Room of The Bama Theatre. The opening night reception will be Thursday from 6-9 p.m.

The reception will feature the band The Big Bad Wolves and free food from Wilhagan’s. There will be a silent auction for the art pieces from 6-8 p.m., and books, including the artwork, will be on sale — one for $18 or two for $30.

“I will bid on my own pieces,” Bratina said. “I get attached to my art. Most artists do and will probably bid on their work.”

All proceeds will benefit the Tuscaloosa Forward fund supporting the April 27 tornado recovery efforts.

“This year is going to be much bigger than last year, and we want to continue this as a yearly event for the community,” Gamble said. “I definitely want a Monster Makeover III next year.”