Celebrate Constitution Day with federal judge

In honor of Constitution Day, Federal District Court Judge Lynn Hughes will give a lecture on the Constitution and the role it has played on our nation Friday at 3 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Theater.

“[Students can expect to hear] another perspective on the Constitution from a judge who works with the Constitution every day as part of his job, has thought a lot about the Constitution and has advised other countries on their constitutions,” said Joseph Smith, associate professor of political science.

The lecture, “Our Unfinished Revolution” is sponsored by the University’s department of political science. Hughes will answer questions after the lecture.

President Ronald Reagan appointed Hughes to the federal branch in Houston in 1985. Before this, he served as a trial judge in Texas for six years and was also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and director of the World Affairs Council of Houston.

Constitution Day commemorates the signing of our Constitution on Sept. 17, 1787 and recognizes the accomplishments of the men who wrote the document while reminding Americans to reflect on their liberty.

As another part of Constitution Day, the Bill of Rights Institute is partnering with the National Constitution Center to provide resources for Constitution Day, the National Constitution Center’s website stated.

Students can tune in to “Constitution Hall Pass,” a free webcast which will allow teachers and students to learn more about this historic day while chatting live with the National Constitution Center’s education staff.

This year’s episode “Constitution Hall Pass: Freedom of Expression” will bring the story of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights to life and will celebrate artists, writers and musicians throughout history who have implemented their right to free expression, according to the website.

The episode will be available on the Center’s website on Friday with a live chat from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST.

For more information on Constitution Day, visit the Bill of Rights Institute website at www.billofrightsinstitute.org or the National Constitution Center at www.constitutioncenter.org.