Announcements for 2/11/2010

Genealogy event to be held Saturday

In celebration of Black History Month, the UA Black Faculty and Staff Association and the department of race and gender studies present “Researching African American Genealogy.” Frazine Taylore, former head of reference for the Alabama Department of Archives and History, will speak about tracing family roots. The event will be Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon in Room 110 of the AIME building.

Career Center plans résumé

Short and sweet résumé critiques will be Feb. 10 and 11 in 336 Ferguson Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Stop by to have your résumé critiqued while you enjoy a sweet treat. For more information, contact Tiffany Goodin at 348-5848.

Fraternity, sororities host benefit

Delta Tau Delta, Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Phi are hosting a benefit barbecue on Tuesday to benefit Big Oak Ranch and Haiti relief efforts. The event is from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Delta Tau Delta house. Tickets are $5 and can be bought at the door or by calling Charlie White at 205-218-9047. The band Colin Maxwell will perform. Shirts will be sold for $16, and there will be a raffle for autographed footballs.

Study abroad fair offers information

Capstone International Academic Programs will be hosting a Study Abroad Fair on Feb. 16. It will be in the Ferguson Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Program providers from across the country will be in attendance giving students information about their programs. All providers in attendance are companies affiliated with UA through Capstone International. Tables will also be set up by the CIAP office to answer students’ questions about studying overseas, as well as Study Abroad Connections – a student organization geared toward students interested in going abroad and those who have already studied abroad.

Capstone Hero award nominations being accepted

In March, UA will celebrate the fifth annual week of events dedicated to celebrating the ideals of the Capstone Creed. As part of this important week of events each year, we honor individuals and/or organizations whose lives and contributions to life at the Capstone echo the values espoused in the Creed. These honors come in the form of a special award called the “Capstone Hero” award. Nominations for this award are available at http://leadership.ua.edu and will be accepted through February 12.

UA students, faculty and staff, friends and community members are invited to submit nomination(s) for individuals or groups who serve as living examples that inspire and challenge us as a community to live up to the principles of integrity within the Capstone Creed. Nominations must be turned in to the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership (355 Ferguson Center) or emailed to [email protected] by 4 p.m. on February 12.