Birmingham festival features variety of films

Why not take the trip to Birmingham this weekend and experience a cultural event unique to the Magic City? Birmingham’s 13th annual Sidewalk Film Festival, scheduled for Aug. 26-28, debuted in 1999 and has continued to draw large crowds from across the country and around the world.

The festival consists of more than 200 independent film screenings over the span of three days at downtown Birmingham venues. All venues are within walking distance so viewers can use the sidewalks to travel from one film to another. Screening locations include The Alabama Theatre, The Carver Theatre, The Hill Arts Center, Red Mountain Theatre Company’s Cabaret Theatre, McWane Science Center and Harambe Room.

Rachel Morgan, lead programmer for Sidewalk Film Festival, said planning the event is a yearlong effort. Two weeks after the festival, programmers for Sidewalk Film Festival hold a call for entries and solicit filmmakers to submit their films to the program.

“We usually start off with around 700 films,” Morgan said. “We launch a screening committee of about 50 people to weed through the films and rate them accordingly. This year we have over 50 feature films, which consist of anything over 40 minutes long, and 150 short films.”

Sidewalk’s programming philosophy aims to keep a balanced festival lineup, appeal to all audiences and represent different issues and genres.

“We are a general audience festival and program for the Alabama and Birmingham markets,” Morgan said. “We are different from other festivals because our filmmakers aren’t trying to sell their films; they are celebrating their films.”

Film director Patrick Sheehan has participated in Sidewalk Film Festival since its early years.

“I think Sidewalk has matured over the years,” Sheehan said. “It started as a grassroots effort, and now it’s a prestigious festival with great venues and great films. It’s a culturally different type of festival with a different vibe.”

Sheehan will be screening his film “Man in the Glass” at Sidewalk Film Festival, which tells the story of LSU basketball coach Dale Brown and his achievements off the court as a relentless advocate for players’ rights.

A panel of jurors consisting of professionals in the film industry will judge each film screening. Andrew Grace, UA professor in the department of telecommunications and film, will be returning as a juror for the narrative, documentary and short film categories.

“There are very few opportunities to see contemporary films in Alabama,” Grace said. “This is a wonderful opportunity to engage in the art community and is much better than seeing a cover band on The Strip.”

Sidewalk Film Festival thrives on student involvement, volunteering for event planning, attendance and film submissions. The festival includes a Best Student Film category for judging with a $500 cash prize.

“The Best Student Film category is a definite sign to universities and college students that we want you to get involved,” Sheean said. “You are the next generation in filmmaking.”

Students from Alabama high schools, the University of Alabama, UAB, Birmingham-Southern College, Lawson State Community College and Florida State University have submitted films to the festival.

For students wishing to attend the film festival, a variety of ticket options are available. A weekend pass is $55 in advance, $60 at the door, and consists of all films for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as Opening Night After Party entrance. Day passes are $20 in advance, $25 at the door and include all films for the day.

Rebecca Pugh, communications manager for Sidewalk Film Festival, said this year, there will be an outdoor area called Sidewalk Central featuring music, food and beverages for festival attendees to enjoy in between films. Local bands will perform, and food will be served from Bottletree Café, Cosmo’s Pizza, Dreamcakes and Cantina.

“Its important to see things outside of Netflix and Redbox,” Morgan said. “Sidewalk Film Festival brings filmmakers and people from all over the world and showcases how beautiful and diverse Birmingham really is.”

For more information and film lineups, visit sidewalkfest.com.

If You Go

What: Sidewalk Film Festival

When: Aug. 26-28

Where: Downtown Birmingham

Cost: Day passes are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Weekend passes are $55 in advance and $60 at the door.