Board of Trustees to discuss tuition increase

The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees will meet this week in Mobile to discuss tuition increases during the Finance Committee meeting, said Kellee Reinhart, vice chancellor for System Relations for the University of Alabama System.

Trustees will also review a number of proposed renovations and additions, as well as new building projects, on campus.

A North Campus Student Center, which will include a dining area, housing and residential community offices, and recreational center is to be built in the center of the North Campus Residential Community, according to documents. The center is expected to be approximately 75,000 gross square feet and will offer panoramic views of the Black Warrior River.

Sigma Chi fraternity has proposed to be relocated and build a new nearly $7 million house. The new house would include 35 bedrooms and 20 bathrooms in addition to a housemother suite, library, study, and formal reception area, among others.

Zeta Beta Tau fraternity has proposed a renovation and addition to its existing housing project that will comply with code and accessibility requirements and accommodate growth in membership.

Delta Delta Delta sorority has also proposed to be relocated and build a 40,000 gross square foot house in the new Magnolia development behind the President’s Mansion. The house is anticipated to be a three-story facility with a full basement and the capabilities to house approximately 76 members.

If the resolution is passed, Russell Hall will also undergo renovations and additions in order to meet the demands of increasing student enrollment and update the existing facility to meet modern educational requirements and standards.

Saint Francis of Assisi University Parish has proposed plans to build a new 17,000 square foot church sanctuary, which will accommodate a new worship sanctuary, a day chapel and other support spaces. The addition will hold approximately 700 parishioners.

The University will also acquire a federal military training facility for educational purposes.

Trustees will discuss plans to renovate and add additions to the Ferguson Center, which was constructed in the 1970s to serve a smaller student body. The project planned includes accommodating the Student Media and Career Center.

Other future plans include an addition to Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library that will double the current seating capacity, enhance access to critical print collections to students and faculty in the Humanities and Social Sciences, and offer the technology-driven infrastructure found in libraries at peer institutions.

Trustees will also discuss long-term plans that may be submitted to the Board for approval within the next two years. Some of these plans include a project targeted for Sewell-Thomas Stadium, Tutwiler Hall renovation, Paty Hall renovation and various infrastructure projects.