SGA still outlining student organization seating plans

With less than two weeks remaining in the spring 2011 semester, Student Government Association members are still working on plans for student organization seating at next year’s Crimson Tide home football games.

Seth Morrow, SGA communications director, said the SGA is in the process of outlining the application timeline for student organization seating at this time.

“We do understand that the football season starts only nine days after classes begin, so we are working to create a timeline that allows every student organization an opportunity to apply,” Morrow said. “If this means that the application needs to become available during the summer, then we will move in that direction and publicize it widely.”

Morrow said any student organization registered with the SOURCE can apply for student organization seating.

“We encourage all interested student organizations to apply,” he said. “If we are going to move toward becoming an actual UA community, it is imperative that student organizations apply.”

Morrow said the criteria for groups who plan on applying remain under consideration, as the SGA is making every effort to open up the seating area to all student organizations.

“We want to create criteria that place all organizations on an equal playing field regardless of size or experiences,” he said. “The Student Organization Seating Committee will be responsible for reviewing applications. Since we are still in the process of interviewing directors, that committee has yet to be established.”

Last year, the committee accepted all 34 organizations that applied for student organization seating blocks. Such groups included the Honors College Assembly, Alpha Phi Alpha and Air Force ROTC – all newcomers to organizational seating.

Sarah Hughes, incoming president of HCA, said the organization would definitely be applying for student organization seating again this year.

“We had a great turnout from HCA students last season,” Hughes said. “They seemed to really enjoy sitting in the end zone and [being] involved in the games. We had so many students who wanted to sit in the HCA section that we had to come up with a system to distribute wristbands to those interested in attending. I think the system worked well, and I’m looking forward to reapplying again.”

First reports from students sitting in the new, larger student organization seating sections were mainly positive after last year’s home opener against San Jose State.

“Organizations have taken it upon themselves to self-regulate who sits in their assigned section,” Stephen Swinson, SGA vice president of student affairs, said after the game. “Overall, we felt Student Organization Seating was a success at the San Jose State game.”

The student organization seating sections shifted west for last year’s home games, as groups found themselves sitting in sections S-4 through S-8.

Morrow said he hopes the SGA will be ready to send an email to the presidents of all student organizations outlining the important criteria they will need to begin gathering for the application process before the semester ends.

Important information that the student organization seating committee looks at includes members’ GPA, on- and off-campus involvement and community service, among other categories, he said.

“We are excited to continue to work with student organizations to create an inclusive process that represents all students,” Morrow said.