Womanless pageant raises money for local school

Is he a lady or is he not? Sigma Alpha Iota will be presenting their annual womanless beauty pageant “He’s a Lady” today from 7:30-9 p.m. in the Moody Recital Hall. General admission is $3, and all proceeds benefit Skyland Elementary School’s music program.

Sigma Alpha Iota is an international women’s service fraternity that promotes active participation of its collegiate members in music education, as well as campus involvement. The organization provides scholarships, loans and awards to members in music-related studies.

In addition, Sigma Alpha Iota holds fundraisers throughout the year to support multiple philanthropies, like elementary school music programs.

“Our main goal is to get music out in the community and create events that allow us to display music, such as performing at local retirement homes and hospitals,” said Kyndal Sonnier, current vice president of membership and a senior majoring in chemistry.

The greek service organization holds meetings and recruitment events for those interested in joining. Once accepted and initiated in the spring semester, members must take a required number of music education classes and pass the national Sigma Alpha Iota test. However, majoring in music is not required.

“Sigma Alpha Iota brings together a great group of dedicated girls bonded through music and sisterhood,” Sonnier said. “It allows us to help people remember how joyful music is.”

The beauty pageant is the organization’s most profitable fundraiser.

“We have a sisterhood within music and we use that to help the community,” said Cindy Simpson, a new member and sophomore majoring in musical performance. “We fundraise as much as we can for more than one school.”

The “He’s a Lady” pageant consists of 7-10 males who are either music majors or in marching band. The competition will be judged on fitness, talent and on-stage question-and-answer sessions. Talents in the past have included playing instruments, twirling batons and drag shows.

Girls will also dress up as guys to be attendants to the pageant contestants.

The emcee will be Charles Moncayo, last year’s pageant winner. A hat signed by multiple players of the 2010 Alabama football team will be the first place prize.

There will also be a people’s choice award winner, who will receive a Best Buy gift card. To vote for this award, audience members can place donations into their favorite contestant’s jar.

“Not only are the contestants giving a lot of laughs to the crowd, but the crowd is giving back as well by donating money to support music in the community,” Sonnier said. “We hope people are generous and want to donate for Skyland Elementary.”

Sonnier said the pageant has seen a good turn out in past years. She said the recital hall has limited space, and last year’s event drew a full crowd and raised more than $300. They said they hope to raise more money this year by increasing awareness through campus fliers and Facebook.

“Not only is the event hilarious, but it’s also a fun way to raise money and is all-around enjoyable,” said Melissa Moon, president of Sigma Alpha Iota and a senior majoring in elementary education.

There is a $10 entrance fee for all pageant contestants, and this money will also support Skyland Elementary School’s music program. Rolling admission of contestants will continue until tonight to attract as many participants as possible.

“It’s great watching my close guy friends dress up and perform, but now that I am a member I’m attending the event to help increase music awareness,” Simpson said. “It’s rewarding to give back to the community by helping young kids get involved with music. It will stay with them for the rest of their lives.”

For more information email Laura Hagerty at [email protected].