Dixie prepares to PRTY PRTY PRTY

Dixie prepares to PRTY PRTY PRTY

Sometimes, it can be a difficult task to find something out of the ordinary to do on a Friday night in Tuscaloosa, but Harris Stewart thinks he has a solution.

PRTY! PRTY! PRTY!, a new recurring dance party, kicked off two weeks ago with a show that sold out and is now back for a second time this Friday.

“It’s a party; you’re here to have fun,” said Stewart, the creator of the dance party and a first-year law student. “You’re here to celebrate life and to really just let your hair down and go crazy a little bit. Life doesn’t offer us many opportunities to do that.”

The Dixie will host the event, with doors opening at 9 p.m. There will be a $5 cover before midnight and $7 after midnight to attend, and the show is for anyone age 19 and up.

“One of the reasons The Dixie is so perfect is that it can be 19 to dance and 21 to drink,” Stewart said. “I don’t want anyone to be turned away for something like age, if possible.”

Stewart will be hosting and playing at every PRTY! PRTY! PRTY! event along with bringing in new guests every time. The first event featured White Noise, a DJ from Tuscaloosa who started the similar Blow Your Head events at Mellow Mushroom a few years ago, and Nastique, a DJ who helped create the Kids Got The Disco parties in Birmingham.

“PRTY! PRTY! PRTY! and Blow Your Head are similar in that they were both trying to bring a good electronic scene to Tuscaloosa for people who are interested in that,” said Grant Willis, a.k.a. DJ White Noise.

Friday’s event will bring in acts that are very diverse and have never played here before, Stewart said.

The first of the DJs, Schtompa, has played at Bonnaroo, Dexfest and Rothbury Music Festival.

The other group, Cherub, made up of Jordan Kelley and Jason Huber, has been quickly getting bigger and bigger.

“I started making a CD, and I wasn’t really sure how I was going to perform it live, so we got in the studio and Jason made it sound really good,” Kelley said.

Cherub and Stewart met while playing in Nashville, and according to Jason they started “crushing on each other right there” because both loved the other’s music.

“We had to party, party, party after that,” Huber said. “It was inevitable.”

Kelley described their music as “Prince on ecstasy,” while Stewart described

Cherub as a band that takes the best elements out of Empire of the Sun, MGMT and

Prince and puts them together in their music.

For Stewart, PRTY! PRTY! PRTY! is about inviting these DJs and groups to Tuscaloosa and introducing locals to music they may not have heard.

“The term electronic dance music is about as specific as saying ‘I like music,’” he said. “You could be talking about anything from drum and bass to trance to dubstep, but I’m looking for acts that have the right outlook of taking a party from how it is at 8 to how it is at 10 to just being completely off the charts.”

Stewart said it was his love of music and dance that got him interested in the electronic dance scene in the first place.

While he was in school in Ashville, N.C., Stewart started DJing, though he also tried to create bands. Slowly, he found that being part of a band wasn’t what he was looking for and that DJing was a better fit for him.

“It was a natural progression of wondering why I was trying to put five people together and not even be fully able to do what I want with it,” he said. “DJing was a way that I could bridge all the things I love about music because you get to mix and match so many things.”

Starting in the fall, Stewart said he wants to make PRTY! PRTY! PRTY! a monthly event with bands coming in from all over the country. He also said he wants to create a community of people in Tuscaloosa who really enjoy the music and can associate with it.

This Friday’s event will be better than the first, Stewart said, because the bands are more diverse, and the lighting, which is going to be done by the group that does Bassnectar’s lighting, will only enhance the experience.

“We’re excited to just vibe off people on Friday,” Huber said. “Neither of us have been to Tuscaloosa, but Harris told us it is an awesome event that everyone comes out in full force to and just has a good time, which we love to do.”

If You Go:

What: PRTY PRTY PRTY!

Where: The Dixie

When: 9 p.m.

Cost: $5 before midnight, $7 after midnight