Announcements for 1/15/2009

Crimson Ride/348-Ride operations adjusted for MLK, Jr. holiday

Crimson Ride will not operate on Monday since the University is closed in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. 348-Ride will not operate on Sunday, Jan. 17, but will resume operations at 10 p.m.

Literary journal accepting submissions

The Marr’s Field Journal is currently accepting submissions of poetry, prose, art, photography and music for the 2010 edition. The final deadline to submit is Feb. 1. For submission guidelines go to www.mfj.ua.edu and email editors at [email protected].

Comment on new Foster plaza design plans

The University is soliciting feedback from the community on the concept of a plaza at Foster Auditorium that will be designed to commemorate the events surrounding the “Stand in the Schoolhouse Door.” Online comments can be made through Jan. 15 by visiting the UA Web site at ua.edu and clicking on “Foster Auditorium Plaza Renovation” under Quick Links at the bottom of the page.

Honor society applications available, deadline extended

Applications for six different honor societies on campus are available. The Blue Key Honor Fraternity, the Anderson Society, Omicron Delta Kappa, the Mortar Board, Cardinal Key Honor Society and Lambda Sigma have applications posted at honorsocieties.ua.edu. The deadline has been extended to Jan. 24.

Italian Movie Night starts Tuesday

Tuesday marks the beginning of Italian Movie Night, a series of weekly screenings of Italian classics at 7 p.m. in Alston Hall.

The first movie, directed by Mario Monicelli, is entitled “I Soliti Ignoti,” which translates into “A Big Deal on Madonna Street,” and is considered by many film critics as an Italian cinema masterpiece. Ciccone said she anticipates a large crowd.

Each film will have English subtitles for those who don’t understand Italian. For more information on the Italian movie nights, students can visit italian.ua.edu/welcome.

Homecoming associate director applications available

Associate director applications for Homecoming 2010 will be available on Jan. 13 during Get on Board Day at the University Union. Applications may also be found in the Student Government Association office. Completed applications are due Jan. 25 at 4:45 p.m. For more information, contact Erica Floyd.

Student Alumni Association accepting applications

The Student Alumni Association is now accepting applications for spring 2010. Applications are available at www.saa.ua.edu and can be submitted through the Web site. Applications are due Jan. 17. For more information, contact Jennifer DeFrance at 348-1553.