Blount students to present open mic night

Blount Open Mic Night will feature a series of talent acts for those seeking entertainment this tonight starting at 7 p.m. in the Blount building lobby.

The Residence Hall Association supports Open Mic Night every second semester as a way to showcase the talents of students who are part of the Blount Undergraduate Initiative. The event usually lasts about two hours.

Usually 15-20 people perform either individual or group acts, with talents including songs, comedy skits, playing guitar, reading poetry and occasionally juggling.

Erica Schwalm, a junior majoring in chemistry and coordinator for Open Mic Night, said in years past there have been judges and audience nominations for awards, but this year they plan to keep the event simple with the acts solely serving as entertainment.

“I am looking forward to getting everyone together, to laugh a little and to have fun,” Schwalm said.

Acts for this year will include a rap, a song titled “I am Mr. Potato Head,” musical instruments and juggling. UA security officer Dave Baumhower will be the announcer during the event.

Asher Elbein, a freshman majoring in zoology, will be participating Wednesday night.

“I’ll be performing a few songs on my acoustic bass, including one I wrote myself,” Elbein said. “It’s a good opportunity to test out new material in front of a sympathetic crowd.”

During the performances the Residence Hall Association and members of the Blount residence hall will provide drinks and snacks for the audience members.

“[Open Mic Night] is a chance for those of us who are creative but not involved in the arts programs at UA to demonstrate the kind of art we enjoy,” Elbein said. “Most Blountees love to perform, and this gives us a chance to do it.”

Blount Undergraduate Initiative is a liberal arts minor based around small seminar classes for the participants. The objective of the initiative is to instill in students the ability to become self-reliant thinkers.

Freshmen in the program are required to live in the Blount Living and Learning Community where they take Blount Initiative seminars. Sophomores and upperclassmen can live off campus but continue to participate in undergraduate events.

Stephen Killen, a sophomore in New College and Blount, said it is fairly easy to become involved with Blount, but much of campus is just not aware of the program.

In addition to Open Mic Night, the resident advisers for Blount put on other events such as dance classes, cooking classes, Harry Potter week and Indiana Jones day.

Although the audience for Open Mic Night usually consists of Blount students and friends, the event is open to all UA students and they hope for great attendance.

“It’s a blast. I had a great time last year and look forward to this year’s performances,” Killen said.