Hopefuls to square off in two debates

On Sunday and Monday, UA students will have the opportunity to ask questions and meet with the two candidates for Student Government Association president, the only contested executive position in the upcoming election.

The first debate, which will be held on Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Ballroom, will also give students the opportunity to meet with the candidates running for senate positions on campus.

“We really wanted to provide the candidates with an opportunity to get their word out there and reach as many students as possible,” said event coordinator Latasha Jasmine Lewis. “Also, in regard to the senate meet and greet, we know that there are a lot of people out there who don’t know all those who are running, so this will provide them with a great opportunity to get to know the candidates.”

Lewis said she also hopes the debate will show UA students interested in running for SGA office what is needed to be a viable candidate.

“I just hope that everyone who attends will see that there are positions of leadership that they can join,” she said. “I’m not sure everyone knows that. We really want to show UA students that, if you start early enough, you could be SGA president one day.”

The debate is sponsored by the University’s Residence Hall Association and students with questions for the candidates should submit them through the group’s Facebook page.

On Monday, from 7 to 8 p.m. in The Zone of Bryant-Denny Stadium, SGA presidential candidates will square off for the final time.

Joe Mahoney, the debate’s coordinator, said he felt it was important that all student groups on-campus are represented at the event.

“It is important to foster a sense of community and let the students gain a clear understanding as to why they should or should not vote for a particular candidate,” Mahoney said. “This debate will be one of the defining moments of this election and I look forward to seeing each candidate’s unique characteristics.”

Mahoney said students interested in submitting questions prior to the debate, which is sponsored by the Honors College Assembly, can do so by sending an e-mail to [email protected].

SGA presidential candidate Grant Cochran said he was very excited about being able to participate in the debates.

“The two debates are a great opportunity to get more exposure for our campaign as well as a way to get out what our campaign seeks to incorporate on campus,” Cochran said.

SGA presidential candidate Nancy Hogan said she was thrilled about the excellent venue to share her vision and ideas for a unified campus.

“I believe that debates are all about contrasts between candidates, and I believe the contrast in this election is very clear,” Hogan said. “I hope the debates help to reduce apathy on campus and students take an active role in their SGA.”