Hogan targets inefficiency in SGA

When Coresa Nancy Hogan first came to the University of Alabama in 2008, she had no idea she would one day be a close adviser to the Student Government Association president. She didn’t even see student government as an option for her.

“I was disconnected and apathetic about SGA because I was not welcomed,” Hogan said. “As time went by, I realized the immense potential SGA has in terms of resources and funding. I want to create an SGA that works for every single student so that future students do not have the same negative view of SGA that I did.”

Now the senior majoring in accounting and fashion retailing is running for SGA president herself, looking to make the organization more efficient, promote innovative programs and improve campus unity.

She said one of her major goals is to trim the fat in the SGA budget to allow more funds for student scholarships.

“If elected, one of my first priorities will be to secure a larger budget so that every student organization receives the funding they deserve,” Hogan said, based on her experience serving on the Financial Affairs Committee this year, where lack of funding was a problem. “As our campus continues to expand, it is critical that we make sure our resources are keeping up with the growth.”

Hogan also said she would not accept a salary as SGA president, and would encourage her other executives to do the same. That money, she said, could be better spent on programs designed for students.

As president, she said she will work with the Office of Information Technology to make sure the University has enough IP addresses to accommodate the electronic devices of every student. She also plans to work with Transportation Services to make the campus more biker friendly and reduce some of the parking issues.

Hogan said she wants to create an SGA that is “about the students, not above them.”

She currently serves as executive adviser to SGA President James Fowler and has served on seven executive boards during her time at the University. Additionally, Hogan is president of the Black Student Union and holds a position as a special projects and research assistant in the Office for Student Involvement and Leadership. Her previous leadership roles at the University include: former president of Alpha Kappa Alpha, former president of the NAACP and secretary and treasurer for the Coordinating Council for Honor Societies.

Hogan said she thinks an effective SGA president must be both willing to listen to the concerns of each and every student and working every day to fight for the student body.

“If elected, I will be the SGA president for all the students, not just a select few,” Hogan said. “I was not picked to run by a select group of people in an underground meeting. I will owe no favors, and the only people I will have to answer to are members of the student body.”

Hogan said she decided she wanted to run about two months ago when she realized she was tired of sitting back and watching the University head down the same path.

“I could not stand the thought of leaving this campus knowing I did not do everything in my power to open SGA up to every student,” Hogan said. “I really believe this election is about so much more than just SGA. This election reflects the future of our campus, and I am truly honored to be a part of it.”

Hogan’s Platform

Increase efficiency by cutting costs from printing costs, retreats, office equipment, and other areas.

Create a one-stop website for signing up for academic advising.

Create a panel of student leaders from every corner of campus to meet on a weekly basis to discuss issues and projects facing each group.