Student interest key for Armentrout

Student Government Associate candidate for Vice President for Academic Affairs Clay Armentrout said once he takes office, he will begin marketing all of the resources the University has to offer students.

“I’m not afraid to get in there and do a bunch of hard work,” he said. “I’m not afraid to talk to people.”

Armentrout said academics are the biggest thing in his life, and that has prepared him for the job.

“I thought I would love to help out everybody and make sure they can feel the effects of the Academic office, because I feel like there’s a lot of things that we have to offer that people don’t know about,” he said.

Resources like the resume builder and writing center are available, but students may not be aware of them, he said.

Armentrout became involved with student government in the fifth grade and continued throughout high school and on to college.

As a freshman, he got involved with the University’s SGA as a senator’s assistant, where he handled smaller SGA tasks. His sophomore year, he became parliamentarian.

This year, Armentrout worked as chairman of student organization seating and director of athletic ticketing, jobs he said proved anything is attainable if you work hard.

Armentrout said he already has many plans for when he takes office, including looking at the way the business college sets up advising times online.

Starting a mentoring program and marketing the Fall and Spring II minimester programs better are other projects he has in mind.

“Marketing is the success to most businesses,” he said. “Just to let people know that your product is out there, which is me and I’m here to help you, and these are the things we have to offer.”

Armentrout said he would also expound on the work of the current vice president for academic affairs, such as continuing to create more scholarships that are available to all students and improving the SGA test bank, which is comprised of materials to use for study references.

“Right now, the SGA test bank is in a drawer in the office, and whether it’s done this year or next year, we’re going to scan it and put it all up online where students can access it,” he said.

To get people more involved on campus, he said, you have to put yourself out there.

“It’s not just putting flyers up on a bulletin board—who looks at those, really? You need to get personal with people,” Armentrout said.

Armentrout said he will always be willing to talk to students and answer questions and e-mails.

“If you have a problem with academics, I’d love to help you with it.