Water turns to wine this Sunday

University students came out in great forces to vote to legalize alcohol sales in Tuscaloosa on Feb. 22. Yes outnumbered no, four to one, with students contributing a significant portion the vote.

The first day of the Sunday alcohol sales will be this Sunday, March 6, and Tuscaloosa restaurants and bars are preparing for the big day with unprecedented Sunday openings, parties, drink specials and longer hours.

Though the ordinance allows alcohol sales only between the hours of noon and 9:30 p.m., students still plan on celebrating the newly voted-in alcohol sales.

“I’m probably going to go to Egan’s because they’re having a dance party, and there is nothing better than drinking and dancing with friends,” said Elise Gold, a junior majoring in journalism. “I think it’s great that we can finally drink on Sunday. It needed to happen.”

Nick Scott, a senior majoring in English, said he will not be going out on Sunday, but he is still excited about the fact that residents are allowed to buy alcohol on Sundays now.

“I’m only excited by the fact that we won’t be restricted to exercise our right to purchase alcohol on Sundays,” Scott said. “It probably won’t change people’s habits too much because school is still the priority for most students down here. However, I wouldn’t mind going to the bar for an occasional Sunday afternoon Braves game.”

Bar and restaurant owners plan to take advantage of Sunday sales, particularly for sporting events.

“I’m looking forward to the college basketball, NBA and NASCAR races on Sunday,” said Bill Lloyd, the owner of Wilhagan’s. “We will be airing all of those games, and it’ll be a good time.”