Baseball splits double header, wins series

By Hannah Saad

Cody Estremera, Sports Editor

Just as it did two years ago when Presbyterian came to Tuscaloosa, Alabama baseball claimed the series, winning two of the three games.

Because of incoming weather, the two played a double header on Saturday. The Blue Hose won the first game 4-1, while the Crimson Tide claimed the series with a 9-4 win in the latter.

“I was really pleased how our guys responded in game two, not just in total game effort, but we gave up runs in the first and second and scored in the bottom of the first and second,” coach Brad Bohannon said.

Alongside winning its first series of the game, Alabama started a pair of freshmen on opening weekend for the first time since 2012.

Game One:

Alabama struck first in the bottom of the second. Catcher Sam Praytor led the inning off, took a ball, then launched a fastball over the left field fence.

The one run would be the only damage the Crimson Tide could muster. It managed just five hits, none of which were with a runner on (0-of-15). All five hits led off the inning.

Tyler Ras went just 3 2/3 innings in his start. He allowed one run on five hits while striking out five. Deacon Medders, who went 1 1/3 innings, finished with the loss. He allowed a run on one hit.

Presbyterian’s Zacchaeus Rasberry finished 2-for-3 with a home run, two RBIs and two runs for the Blue Hose.

Game Two:

Alabama immediately rebounded after the 46-minute intermission, scoring five runs in the first two innings.

It started with Joe Breaux, who took a 1-2 pitch down the right-field line for a double. After a fly ball moved him to third one batter later, Morgan McCullough laced a ball the first baseman, who scooped it and overthrew the catcher, scoring Breaux.

McCullough scored once Keith Holcombe hit a home run down the right-field line, giving Alabama a 3-1 lead.

Both teams added a pair of runs in the second, before shutting each other out till the bottom of the sixth, where Alabama loaded the bases with two outs. On the first pitch of his at bat, shortstop Kolby Robinson blooped a single over shortstop into left field, driving in a pair.

“It felt good,” Robinson said. “We’ve been playing each other a lot, so being able to go out there and compete an actual different team, it felt good.”

In his first career outing, Connor Shamblin went four innings, gave up three runs (two earned) and struck out five, earning the win.

Garret Rukes, Casey Cobb and Jeremey Randolph pitched the last five innings. Rukes threw two innings, the longest outing of the three, and struck out two.

Alabama’s five pitchers struck out 10 Blue Hose, while walking two.