Creative Campus recruiting interns

Student-made art lines the walls, a chalked wall describes in detail Creative Campus founder Hank Lazer, and pinned up in a corner is the “poetree” where you can post your favorite poems. These are just a few of the things you’ll notice when you enter the Creative Campus world.

Creative Campus is now recruiting UA students from all disciplines for 2011-2012 internship positions, according to a press release. Applications are due March 1.

There will be an open house to speak with current interns and view the facilities in Maxwell Hall Thursday from 1-5 p.m.

Internships last from August through May and are “designed to fit the intern’s needs.” They range from five to 20 hours per week and can be for academic credit, paid or unpaid. Students can visit creativecampus.ua.edu for more information.

Current Creative Campus intern Andi Johnson, a senior majoring in English and music administration, said there are currently 45 interns.

“This is the sixth year for Creative Campus interns and the applicant pool grows every year,” Johnson said. “We had 100 applicants last year.”

The hiring process includes every applicant being interviewed by the directors of Creative Campus, then some applicants are cut. Then the current interns will interview that smaller applicant pool, then there will be another cut after that process.

“It’s all about finding good chemistry,” said current intern Kelly Watts, a senior majoring in restaurant, hotel and meeting management. “It’s not like they come around and we sit there and judge them. It’s more like speed dating.”

Creative Campus is never looking for a specific student but instead looks to pull in a variety of talents from every area of campus. This year they have at least one representative from every area of campus except nursing, Watts said.

“It’s hard to say what exactly we’re looking for,” Johnson said. “We appreciate different skill sets, but that doesn’t pigeonhole you. We’re just looking to see what kind of person you are. What is your big idea? Those ideas can get turned into projects.”

Some of Creative Campus’s past events include Quidditch on the Quad and Pixelcon. Upcoming projects include Collaborating with Cinema, the Druid City Arts Festival, the Sketchbook Project, TheDome.ua.edu, Artistry on Wheels and the Breaking Boundaries art show.

Intern John Michael Murray, a senior majoring in English, said interns will get a chance to contribute project ideas while also being able to help with any and all other projects Creative Campus is offering.

“At the beginning of the year in August we take a whole day and do introductions and then just talk and bounce ideas off of each other,” Murray said. “People pair into teams into what projects they’re interested in, but there are still those one or two big events that everybody takes a part in. Those projects don’t define us.”

When asked what advice current interns would have for students who are thinking of being an intern, they all stressed time management.

“Teamwork skills are a big part of it,” Murray said. “Also, know when you’re over-committed.”

Intern Anna Reid, a sophomore majoring in management and information systems, said the week of Quidditch on the Quad she worked 65 hours.

However, all of the interns said while at times it can be time-consuming there are benefits.

“Working on projects you really love is the best part,” said intern Chris Schmidt, a sophomore majoring in civil engineering. “You want to see them succeed.”

Johnson said, “My favorite part is all the people who work here. We all like each other. There are different types of people you wouldn’t normally meet.”

To apply, students need to go to the website and click on the internships tab in order to fill out the application. For any application questions, e-mail [email protected] or call 348-7884.