MLK service day encourages community involvement

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Erin Braxton, Contributing Writer

The University’s diversity, equity and inclusion office and the Center for Service and Leadership are hosting a three-week long series of events in honor of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. The “A Day On – Not A Day Off” event is a day of service encouraging students to step up and play an active role in giving back to the community.

Who: Diversity, equity and inclusion office, Center for Service and Leadership

What: MLK Day of Service: A Day On – Not A Day Off

When: Monday, Jan. 21 from 8 a.m. – noon

Where: Brewer-Porch Children’s Center

Why: Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion G. Christine Taylor said she encourages students to do more for the community. She said the goal of this event is to make sure everyone is doing something to give back to the community on this day, and she said she is also asking everyone to hashtag #UAMLK2019.

“You never know how what you give is going to spark someone else,” Taylor said. “There is always someone who can be blessed by what we have to offer. The question is, will we crack ourselves up to offer it? I just want our students to rise and shine and roll tide in volunteerism.”

Taylor said her grandmother left this earth with two goals.

“She never achieved them, but she wanted to be able to read the bible and write her name,” Taylor said. “I am as first generation as it is going to come. I take this so serious. This is a passion for me.”

To sign up for this event or participate in future MLK events please visit: https://leadeandserve.sa.ua.edu