Poisoned trees out of bounds for in-state rivalry

The whole nation is now in uproar about the Toomer Trees. And trust me, we understand. If someone knocked over our Chimes or painted Bear’s bronze hat some outrageous color – like, orange? – this town would be mad too; perhaps mimicking the franticness of ants when their homes are kicked over, or angry farmers with pitchforks out for vengeance. But I don’t think this school’s reputation, or its psychologically stable, respectable fans should be to blame.

The hunt is on for some sad sack who goes by the name of “Al” – whose real name is probably Charlie or Jethro or Lewis – living in Dadeville. I don’t even know where or what that is. But I’m almost certain “Al” has never gone to this university, or any university, in his life. He simply wants to fit in, play the part, do our dirty work.

At the University of Alabama we don’t have sacred trees, but we do have sacred spaces: the handprints of Joe Namath, Denny Chimes, a big bronze Bear Bryant. This isn’t a one-sided battle of the psychotic fans, because Auburn has them in plenty as well. For example, the Cam Newton jersey someone put on the Bear Bryant monument was no act of respect. Nor was the huge thirty-foot grass replica of the score from the 2010 Iron Bowl that some Auburn fan from, perhaps, Cottondale planted on our Walk of Champions.

Obviously these acts are easily recovered with only minor damage. But you know what they say about waking up a sleeping giant … he’ll poison your trees. When rivals win back-to-back National Championships and sport back-to-back Heisman Trophy winners, there is going to be some friction – so much friction that this state will soon burst at the seams. And that’s exactly what is happening.

To Auburn fans (because so many of you read The Crimson White) and even disappointed SEC fans: know this wasn’t a school-planned function. There was no town meeting; we didn’t hire a tree hit man from Dadeville, nor do we support one. In fact, collectively, the students, faculty, and alumni at this school are nothing but classy people, who empathize in your loss and anger. We are a group of people who revel in rivalry, but who also respect that rivalry.

Of course at a game ending in our favor, we’ll yell about how we “beat the hell out of you.” But that’s tradition. And like you (Auburn fans) will hear our Rammer Jammer, we (Alabama fans) will watch you vandalize your sacred trees with toilet paper – even if we don’t understand it. If anyone knows about tradition and respects tradition, it is THIS school. We have a moving montage on game days to confirm it.

As far as this ugly rivalry goes, I’ll proudly speak for my school and say that we cannot control what people like “Al” from Dadeville do. But we can control how hard we support the image of this university, academically and athletically. We’ll show up in the classroom, and then we’ll meet you on the field. Our thirteen flags will be flying, our crimson will be overwhelming, and our Roll Tides will be deafening. At this school we believe we are the best and the brightest. We come from a long line of champions and are primed to succeed. And we don’t need to kill your trees to prove it.