TCBY hosts 30th anniversary YouTube contest

What does TCBY mean to you? If you have an answer to that question, then you may be swimming in a year’s supply of frozen yogurt.

TCBY is holding a “30th Anniversary What Does TCBY Mean To You Video Contest.” TCBY’s year’s supply of yogurt equates to $30 worth of frozen yogurt per month, or $360 for the year.

According to the TCBY website, TCBY.com, contestants have to create a 30-second video “communicating what TCBY means to you” and submit an entry form online with the link to your video upload on YouTube. The entry form can be found on the TCBY website under a link on the homepage.

All entries are due by Feb. 28, the judging will take place March 1-5 and the winner will be announced March 15.

Kelly Wallace, a communications representative for TCBY Frozen Yogurt and a recent UA graduate, encouraged participants to be creative in their entries.

“The more creative the better,” Wallace said. “It can be as simple or as creative as you like.”

Wallace gave several examples of entries that have been submitted so far, which can be viewed on TCBY’s YouTube channel.

“Some people have done poetry, some have done a basic video, some have given TCBY memories when they were little and some have done creative things someone normally wouldn’t think of,” Wallace said. “It’s really open.”

The contest is nationwide so anybody 18 and up can participate. Wallace said TCBY has already seen a lot of interest.

“If somebody from Alabama would win it would be great exposure for the University,” Wallace said.

Wallace said it would be a great prize for a college student, especially an Alabama student.

“I think it would definitely be a great prize to share with your friends,” Wallace said. “Especially at the University of Alabama, with the new location it’s become such a hangout; it’s really easy access for students.”

This is the first contest of its kind for TCBY, Wallace said.

“It’s been really neat with the social media outreaching to TCBY customers,” Wallace said.

Meg Watson, a recent graduate who majored in public relations, said, “On my first date with my now-fiancé, we went to see a movie with some mutual friends. After the movie, he suggested that we get TCBY, and that is when I knew he was my kind of man. We still go to TCBY at least once a week, seriously.”

Watson said she thought the contest sounded interesting.

“Sounds like a fun contest, and if I had time to make a video, I totally would,” she said.

“I’m pretty sure I’ve loved TCBY since the day I was born,” said Robyn Serum, a first year doctoral student in international relations. “I have fond memories of getting late night frozen yogurt with friends after football games in high school. I also remember the days my mom would bring me a TCBY M&M Shiver because she knew it would cheer me up when I was feeling down. Also, I am currently drinking a TCBY vanilla latte, and it is delicious.”