Q&A with Kendell Wilson, homecoming queen candidate

CW%2F+Kendell+Wilson+

CW/ Kendell Wilson

Jessa Reid Bolling, Assistant News Editor

Q: What is your year, major and hometown?

A: I’m a senior majoring in political science, and I’m from Iowa Park, Texas.

Q: What inspired you to run?

A: I wanted to represent a part of campus that hasn’t been represented in the years that I’ve been on campus at least, and from what I’ve heard, at all whenever it comes to homecoming, and that is queer students. I also really wanted to advocate and raise awareness for the Magic City Acceptance Center and all of the really amazing work that they are doing in Birmingham. And that’s been a really big driving force, is just making sure that people know what they’re doing, and that Magic City can use all of the help that they can get.

Q: What is your platform, and why are you passionate about it?

A: My catchphrase or campaign slogan is “Be Kind,” and that very much ties into the fact that I want the campus to be aware of queer identities and to be kind to those students, to be kind to everyone, and I’m just super passionate about that fact that there are marginalized students that are afraid to own and voice their identities because of stigma and backlash that they may experience. I want to do what I can to make those identities visible so that that stigma can be lessened, and people can be themselves without fear.

Q: Why do you think students should care about homecoming court?

A: I think that students should care about the homecoming court because it is a good way to see what people are doing politically and actively. So there are eight people running this year, which is wild. It’s more than I think have ever run in my time at UA, so it’s a good chance for everyone to see what different philanthropies are out there and what people are passionate about, because if you just stay in your little bubble on campus, you’re not going to know that there are these other amazing organizations on campus that can use your help, so it’s a good way to learn about that. It’s also a good way to start your political involvement on a smaller scale because political involvement is really important. If you can vote in a homecoming queen election, then you can vote in your local government elections, and so on and so forth.”

Q: Why should students vote for you?

A: This is something that I am incredibly passionate about. It’s something that I live in my day-to-day life, and I want students to be aware of queer identities, and I am the first person to highlight these in my campaign and the first person that’s ever really done this. I am doing this not to win. I have no illusions about whether or not I can get the crown. The crown doesn’t really matter. I just want to raise awareness and advocate for those that cannot advocate for themselves. That crown is just a means to raise more awareness for Magic City Acceptance Center, which is all I want to do.