Alabama women’s golf coach named 2018 coach of the year

Shelby AkinShelby Akin

Alabama women’s golf head coach Mic Potter was named the 2018 Golf Pride Grips Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) National Coach of the Year, the WGCA announced this morning.

“I want to thank the Women’s Golf Coaches Association for this recognition,” Potter said in a press release. “I know there are some great coaches out there who have had fantastic seasons and deserve this award as much as I do.”

In his 13th season with the Crimson Tide, Potter led Alabama to a runner-up finish at the NCAA Women’s Golf Championships. Since becoming head coach, Potter has not missed a trip to the NCAA Championships. It was also the 10th straight season that The University of Alabama finished in the top 15 at the National Championships.

The runner-up finish came on the heels of another successful regular season for Potter and Alabama women’s golf team. The Crimson Tide maintained the top rank in the country for the majority of the season, finishing top two in 10 of 11 tournaments and securing four team victories.

“Great players make coaches look good,” Potter said. “I would not have been honored in this way if we didn’t have a team full of great players, and even better students, that make it a pleasure for me to come to work every day.”

Potter was honored as the WGCA Coach of the Year in 2012 as well, after helping the University secure its first national championship. 

“We are so proud of Mic and the job that he has done, not only this year, but over the course of his entire career,” Alabama Director of Athletics Greg Byrne said in a press release. “Everything he does is with integrity and class, and we certainly appreciate the way he represents The University of Alabama.”