Gymnastics fails to qualify for Super SIx

Stephen Alvarez

After finishing fifth in the first semifinal of the 2018 National Gymnastics Championships, Alabama will not advance to the Super Six Team Finals for just the third time in the past 27 seasons.

The semifinals took place in Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis, Missouri on Friday afternoon.

In order to advance to the Super Six on Saturday, the Crimson Tide needed to finish as one of the top three teams in its semifinal. On a day when scoring was tight, a team total of 196.625 was not good enough for Alabama to vault Georgia (196.6875) or Nebraska (197.0125) for the third spot. UCLA (197.5625) and LSU (197.4750) secured first and second while Nebraska secured the final, third spot. Arkansas came in sixth (196.4250).

Out of the four competitions in which Alabama faced Georgia this season, this was the only time that the Gymdogs finished ahead of the Crimson Tide.

The Crimson Tide started the semifinals with a 49.1625, powered by 9.85s from freshman Lexi Graber and sophomore Shea Mahoney. Moving next to balance beam, Alabama posted a 49.075. Senior Kiana Winston notching a 9.85 in her last career performance on the event.

On floor exercise, the Crimson Tide totaled a 49.25. Junior Abby Armbrecht led the way, scoring a 9.8625. On vault, the last event of the competition for Alabama, the Crimson Tide tallied a 49.1375 behind two 9.8375s from Mahoney and senior Nickie Guerrero.

Although Alabama could not advance to the Super Six, the Crimson Tide still recorded a successful season, finishing second at the SEC Championships and winning its NCAA-best 32nd regional title.