What to Look for from The Crimson White in 2011

With the new year comes some new initiatives from The CW. This blog is one—here we will attempt to offer some insight into how our processes work, address issues as they arise and offer a bit of levity so you understand that we’re regular college kids just like you.

Today I just wanted to outline some of the things we have coming down the pipe this semester:

1. Online Polls – We’re always looking for ways to better interact with our audience and offer the student body more ways to have your voice heard. Our newest avenue for this is online polls on the CW homepage. Every week we’ll have a new poll question about a campus, state or national issue, and we’re interested in your perspective. The results will be published on the opinions page on Mondays.

2. Tweet of the Week on Opinions page – Last semester we somewhat sporadically included comments from Twitter alongside various stories about campus issues. We’re going to make this more systemized in 2011 by having Tweets of the Week published on the Opinions page every Thursday. It might be that we choose a topic for you to tweet about—this week it was Subway—or we might choose three of the most interesting tweets of the week about various topics.

3. Druid City Arts Festival Magazine – We’re working with Creative Campus to develop a preview magazine for March’s Druid City Arts Festival. The publication will feature band previews, bar features, information about the history of development of DCAF and more. Look out for it Friday, March 25 and on the festival grounds.

4. Tuscaloosa Online Dining Guide – It’s always a pain to figure out a restaurant’s hours, dig up their menu or discover an interesting new place to check out. We’re working on developing a comprehensive bar and dining guide for Tuscaloosa that will make it easier to plot your weekend exploits. Look for it in February.

These are the big things we’ve got mapped out for the semester, in addition to CW staples such as the A-Day magazine, the baseball season preview, and the Year in Review edition. Got anything else you’d like us to work on? Leave a comment or e-mail me at [email protected].