SGA senate passes act to start scholarship fund for adapted athletics

The Senate passed both pieces of legislation in their final meeting of the academic year, paving the way for a scholarship fund for Adapted Athletics.

Act A-17, an Act to Establish a Scholarship Fund for Adapted Athletics, was passed unanimously in committee with one abstention before the senate passed it. Senator Darby McQueen, a senior majoring in social work, said this bill’s passing was a big step past the hardest stage. 

“I think that this is a really good step in showing that diversity is great,” McQueen said. “Like I said tonight on the floor, we’re a big sports school, so why not support all of our athletic programs.”

McQueen said she also received support from the likes of President Stuart Bell and Vice President of Student Affairs David Grady and has full confidence the act will be carried out. 

“Worst case if we can’t get it hammered out in the last four weeks of our session, I have full confidence it will be carried on to the next session,” she said. 

Additionally, Senator Michael Smith of the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration introduced and authored Act A-29 to distribute $200 from the executive account to purchase ten SGA Award Banquet tickets.

Order of Events

1. Speaker of the Senate Matthew Childress announced that this meeting will be the final meeting this session
  2. Act A-17 establishing a scholarship fund for Adapted Athletics was introduced and subsequently passed
  3. Act A-29 distributing funds was introduced and passed