SGA senate passes four pieces of legislation

For the second consecutive week, the SGA President spoke at Thursday’s Senate meeting, but this week it was a new SGA President approaching senators, assuring them the SGA was “functioning and stable.”

“I can promise you that we haven’t slowed down,” said Nelson. “We should be reminded of our motto: students serving students.”

Additionally, Nelson said “our mission to serve the student body wholeheartedly has not changed” before instructing senators to “move forward together.”  

Nelson ended her speech by emphasizing her willingness to speak with senators should the need arise.  

After an announcement regarding Higher Education Day on Feb. 22, the senate discussed 9 different pieces of legislature, including Resolution 14, which aims to promote and enforce transparency between SGA and the student body. The resolution, which passed after brief discussion and a few questions, proposes more transparency with SGA agendas, minutes, resolutions, initiatives, the SGA budget, budget reports, substantial committee reports and SGA hosted or sponsored events.  

Author Senator Marissa Alayna Navarro, a junior majoring in international studies and spanish, said how important it is to let students know they can be involved with the SGA.

“A lot of people don’t know that all SGA meetings are open to the public,” said Navarro.  “You’re most likely not going to run for a position … if you don’t know the basics.”

Navarro went on to say the resolution will serve as a “resource for students” in a student government whose transparency rating is currently “half and half.”

“Right now [if] you go on our website … there is literally nothing,” said Navarro.  “You don’t know what legislation passed, you don’t know how much money got allocated to [an] organization, you don’t know meeting times [or] where they’re at.  [The website] is lacking.”

Navarro said SGA officials “technically … shouldn’t be getting paid if they’re not doing their jobs.”  

Navarro said the Code of Laws served as the driving force behind this resolution indicting the executive secretary and webmaster for half-heartedly completing their job.

In old business, Bill 07 was passed. The bill, authored by Senator Cara Clay, will rename the Office of Multicultural Affairs to the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The bill, which was examined by the rules committee in the past week, was quickly passed this Thursday.  

In new business, Act 13, authored by Vice President of Financial Affairs Charlie Steinmetz allowed for the approval of organizational funding requests suggested by the financial affairs committee. The requests, which were made for the month of January 2018 and for other purposes, were officially approved after the Senate chose to pass the act.

Additionally, Act 14, an act authored by Senator Harrison Adams and Vice President for Financial Affairs Charlie Steinmetz to establish a rolling alumni database, was sent to the external affairs committee after a few questions and short discussion.

Next, the senate unanimously passed Resolution 13, authored by Senator Eric Silver and Senator Branden Greenberg, which congratulated The University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team for their commitment to academic excellence, followed by Resolution 15, authored by Senator Hannah Echols, congratulating The University of Alabama Adapted Athletics Program on the completion of the Stran-Hardin Arena.

After what ultimately was deemed a debate by Speaker of the Senate Matthew Childress, Bill 08, a bill authored by Senator Michael Smith aiming to establish an Office of Director of Labor Affairs, was sent to the Finance Committee. The debate centered around the position’s necessity in the executive branch.

Additionally, Bill 09, a bill authored by Senator Robert Pendley aiming to increase efficiency, accountability and oversight of all student government association projects, entities, and actions was motioned to be sent to the ethics committee after originally being destined for the rules committee.  

The final piece of legislation, Constitutional Amendment 01, authored by Senators Sarah Michel and Lauren Griffith, was sent to the rules committee after a period of brief discussion and questions.

Order of Events:

Announcements made regarding Higher Education Day on Feb. 22

SGA President Casey Nelson delivered an address emphasizing the SGA’s stable functionality while instructing senators that the SGA intends on moving forward together as her presidency begins

Bill B-07 renaming the Office of Multicultural Affairs was passed as old business

Act A-13 approving organizational funding requests suggested by the financial affairs committee for the month of January 2018 and for other purposes was passed

Act A-14 establishing a rolling alumni database was sent to the external affairs committee

Resolution R-13 congratulating The University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team for their commitment to academic excellence was passed

Resolution R-14 promoting and enforcing transparency between SGA and the student body was passed

Resolution R-15 congratulating The University of Alabama Adapted Athletics Program on the completion of the Stran-Hardin arena was passed

Bill B-08 establishing the Office of Director of Labor Affairs was sent to the finance committee 

Bill B-09 increasing efficiency, accountability, and oversight of all student government association projects, entities, and actions was motioned to be sent to the ethics committee

Constitutional Amendment C-01 allowing for increased SGA participation during Homecoming was sent to the rules committee