Six holiday events to check out in Tuscaloosa

With classes wrapping up, the peak of holiday season is almost here. Across town, several holiday events are on the calendar or already taking place to help residents get into the holiday spirit. Here’s six seasonal events around town to help induce those winter and Christmas moods.

Tinsel Trail at the Riverwalk

Lining the Riverwalk until Jan. 14, the Tinsel Trail includes over 150 Christmas trees decorated by local business and organizations. This year’s trail also includes Candy Cane Lane featuring 50 candy canes, each four feet tall, connecting the trail at the River Market and Tuscaloosa Amphitheater. The trail is free to walk and open all day, but the trees are only lit from dusk to midnight. 

Holidays on the River at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater

The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater is currently home to a 60 by 100 feet outdoor ice skating rink. For $15, visitors get an all day skate pass and a skate rental. Carriage rides are also available on certain days for $5 a person. Hours for the rink vary and specific times can be found at www.holidaysontheriver.com. The rink will be open until mid-January. 

Tuscaloosa Theatre’s “A Christmas Carol” 

Theatre Tuscaloosa will perform  the classic Charles Dickens’ tale “A Christmas Carol” from Dec. 8 to Dec. 17 at the Bean-Brown Theatre on Shelton State’s campus. The is the second year in a row Theatre Tuscaloosa has put on the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and the four spirits who visit him to help him find his holiday spirit. Tickets for the show range from $14 to $19 and can be purchased at www.theatretusc.com. 

Holiday Singalong at Capitol Park

This Saturday at 1 p.m., The Tuscaloosa News will host its 15th annual Holiday Singalong at Capitol Park. The free event will include free food and drinks along with live musicians, song leaders and lyric sheets to follow along with. The event is also pet friendly. 

Monarch Espresso Bar’s Christmas Market 

On Dec. 14, local vendors will be at Monarch Espresso Bar for a Christmas market. Local Roots, MKFlannels, Made by AK Jewelry, Shop Stevie and Bloom Flower Truck will all be on hand to sell food and locally made gifts including flowers, clothing and jewelry. The market will run from 3 to 7 p.m.

Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra “Christmas Celebration”

The Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra will host its annual Christmas Celebration concert on Monday, Dec. 18 at 7 p.m. in Moody Music Building Concert Hall. The concert will include classical and contemporary holiday music and feature the Alabama Choir School and the Prentice Concert Chorale. Before the show, there will be live chamber music and wine in the lobby starting at 6 p.m. Tickets range from $10 to $30 and can be purchased at www.tsoonline.org.