Senate passes resolution to address opioid overdose

The SGA Senate discussed and voted on Resolution 09, which encourages working with Housing and Residential Communities and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life in order to prevent unnecessary opioid overdoses on campus, at their meeting on Thursday. The resolution would encourage the distribution of the drug Naloxone in order to reverse the effects of an overdose.  

The resolution was authored by Senator Robert Pendley and was passed after consideration.

Pendley, a graduate third year law student, said, college-aged students meet a lot of the risk factors that lead to an overdose. 

“[Distributing Naloxone] is purely a response to an overdose,” Pendley said.  “I do think there should be other measures that we look at, and I’m looking forward to working with the Collegiate Recovery Community.”  

During the meeting, Speaker of the House pro tempore, Senator Clay Gaddis, also announced that a Senate meet and greet event is officially scheduled. The event will take place in the Source space on the third floor of the Ferguson Center from 1-3 p.m. on both Nov. 10 and 17.  

Outside organizations, presented as well. The Office of External Affairs shared that they would be sponsoring a cold weather drive in the near future that could last as long as two weeks, depending on campus participation.  The Sustainability Coalition also spoke about their goal to create a lasting network of student organizations aimed at fostering a culture of environmentalism.  

Additionally, Hunter, spoke about the Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SAFE) program. He discussed the SGA’s intent to sponsor a “powderpuff” football game so that different entities such as Greek organizations, the Honors College Assembly, and the Senate itself may donate money to form a team and participate towards enacting a SAFE program for the campus.  

Lastly, Resolution 10, discouraging the use of styrofoam on campus, was passed after deliberation.  

Order of Events:  

1. Announcements made regarding the Senate meet and greet sessions on Nov. 10 and 17 
  2. Individual organizations spoke to senators regarding a cold weather clothing drive, the SAFE program, and the promotion of environmentalism on campus
  3. The Senate broke into committees
  4. Resolution R-09 encouraging the support of working with both housing and residential communities on campus, as well as the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, as it pertains to opioid overdoses. was passed
  5. Resolution R-10 discouraging the use of styrofoam on campus was passed